HybridZ

Timing Map Critique

ktm

I am seeking opinions on my timing map. I am heading into the dyno in a few weeks, but I developed a 'driveable' map based on some street tuning I've done with a wideband and reading a lot of map sharing threads in the MS forum.

My mods are as follows: Wolf EMS, LS1 coil on plugs, T03/04E 50 trim turbo, 440cc injectors, I/C

My timing map is based on Datman's, Cygnus', Jkurgz, and Mobythevan's maps. The y-axis is in Load percentage. The engine is at 0 boost/vacuum at 36%; 5 psi is 50%; I am at full boost (15 psi) at 73%ish percent. I should mention that this is NOT my current map, but my latest revision. My current map is VERY conservative. I am at 21 degrees at 15 psi, 27ish degrees at 0 psi.

Wolf will pull timing on engine temp and intake air temp. I am pulling 2 degrees above 195 degrees on engine temp and 2 degrees above 50 degrees C intake air temp.

Thanks.

timingmap_thumb.jpg

If you know where your torque peak is RPM-wise, it's generally beneficial to ramp some timing back in after the torque peak. Start small, say 0.5 degrees/1000rpm from the torque peak up to redline. Assuming that helps you can try a bit more - I'm currently adding in a little under 2 degrees/1000rpm from 4300 rpm to 7600.

I also add timing after peak torque as the revs increase but am a little more conservative at peak torque (full boost) to be safe. You could also add another 5-6* up to 0 psi and a little more into boost. With your low CR you should have a problem. Isn't it hard to decipher what psi and vac is in %?

Not really. I have a spreadsheet that has done the conversion for me (a calculator is just as handy). It is actually quite easy as it is scalable. It is based on the MAP sensor voltage, so I can set my own resolution. My RPM scale is adjustable as well, I just set it at 1000 rpm intervals so that the entire range is shown on the screen.

Thank you for the help.