HybridZ

driveline questions

stangracr

Before people start screaming to use the search option. I have read so much info on this that I am totally confused. Here is the problem I am having. I purchased the engine crossmember from the guy on here that was making them. I have the engine and trans in the car but not bolted up yet. 331 with a T5. I was under the car today just looking at the driveline placement and noticed that my engine and trans is dead centered in the frame rails. This puts the rear of the trans out of line with the pinion of the diff. Looks like the original drivetrain placement more to the pass.side of the car. My shifter also is oh course over to the drivers side. What should I do here? I guess I could remove the engine crossmember and have to fabed different to help with the problem but Im not sure I can move the engine over enough. Is anyone else using this mount? Any help would be great. I would love to get this thing together but I do want it right.

thanks

ed

A very good question. My engine is installed centered between the frame rails, and it works. However, if I were to do it again, I would offset the engine towards the passenger side. This would provide the following two benefits:

First, it would allow for better U-joint angles on the driveshaft, and better centering of the shifter in the factory hole.

Second, it will make corner balancing the car easier. If you look at my post regarding my corner weights, you will see that the right front is very light compared to the left front. Also the left side percentage is about 51.6%.

Offsetting the engine 1/2" - 3/4" to the right will help with both of these issues. The difficulty will be in finding block hugger headers that allow this engine position.

Do you have issues with driveline vibration when accellerating hard? How about u joint wear? I think Im gonna take the car to a friends race shop and have him help me with this. I want the car right. I plan on doing a little drag racing with this car and dont want to throw the driveshaft thru it. What engine crossmember did you use? Do you what the length of your driveshaft is? Mine looks like it will be in the 24" range. Im not sure with that short of a driveshaft if the u joints will like my angles without moving things. Where are your corner weights listed? Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

ed

I'll take these one at a time.

Do you have issues with driveline vibration when accellerating hard?

No, the only time that I notice any vibration is at steady state cruising. Usually around 80 or so mph. Even then, the vibration is just an annoyance.

How about u joint wear?

I've had the same driveshaft for 7 years. No problems.

What engine crossmember did you use?

I started with some plates welded to the frame rails that utilized the 5.0L rubber mounts. Later, when I rebuilt the car for the second time I switched to a front plate/mid plate configuration. I am in love with that type of set-up because it frees up the space on the sides and under the engine.

Do you (know) what the length of your driveshaft is?

My driveshaft is 19.25" from the center of the front U-joint to the center of the rear U-joint. If you search my old posts (circa 2000), you will find a listing for the part number of the neapco adapter.

Where are your corner weights listed?

Here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92703

The first post lists my old cornerweights and the last my new.