HybridZ

Flywheel swap L6 to RB20

jerryb

I have a AZC light flywheel sitting on my bench....will it work in a RB20?

The diameter is right, the teeth # are the same. It looks like it should work. Before I do further measurements.....off set and such...has anyone tried this swap? It sure looks like it should work?

It would save me a few $$....and it is a nice single piece unit!

Cheers

I do not know but if you measure everything and it is the same than it will work. flywheels are balanced so as long as they bolt on than your good. now probably you will need the cluch pack for the l6 but they might be the same too.

just put them side by side and measure everything.

post your findings

peace

OK...reverse compatibilty is not as simple...

At this point the AZC L28 flywheel will not fit as the flywheel ID ...hole in center....is slightly too small and crank nose will not fit in...1.41" vs 1.37".....but I see no reason why a decent shop couldn't machine out the required material. Once done its a simple bolt on.

Now once the clutch housing is installed...the overall height is somewhat different....The distance from crank face to the top of the clutch fingers is about 0.25" shorter for the L28 set-up.

Im guessing this is too short and the throwout bearing will not reach with the RB throwout collar. If I remember correctly there are different collars. The overall heignt of the RB20 collar and bearing is 1.955" .....Anybody know which bearing collar is longer and by how much? Overall height in my case should be about 2.25

Diameter and teeth appear the same..bolt pattern is identical

Am I missing anything with this "logic"

If I can I would very much like to get the AZC 11lb flywheel to fit....The centerforce 2 clutch still has lots of life and I figure it will be a great add on to build revs quicker.

Thanx

You are correct with the clutch cover height - I had a few different height collar from RB and L6/L4's lining around and I will just use one that works best - my gearbox/motor are still out of the car but I have one that will work - the problem is I can't tell you which box it was from as they all got mixed up at one point.