HybridZ

wheel hub spacers when autocrossing??

Guest zcarbum

Guest zcarbum

wondering if those of you with autocross expierence, can inlighten me on my question!!

"can you use spacers on a 280z (hub adaptor 35-40mm) to autocross with out having negative effects to handling, or hub problem?????

thinking of using "Modern Moto"'s wheel hub adaptors for my 76.. So i can get the wheels i want..but I may try my hand at racing this next year...what do you guys think??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged |

hail.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of guys run wheel spacers in front when autocrossing and running in ITS with 7" wide wheels. It gives you a wider track and reduces understeer. Wheel bearings and spindles last just fine with proper maintenance and regular replacement - which you should do on any race car.

Well I'm pretty DANG sure the opposite is true:)

Sorta counterintuitive, but increasing track at one end of the car will increase the outside tire loading at that end of the car, and reduce it at the other end. Cornering speed would go up, but the car would tend toward sliding the end where the track was increased first. Kart racers can slide their rear wheels inboard or outboard on the axle, and move them inboard to increase grip at the rear (reduced oversteer) and move them outboard to increase grip at the front (reduced understeer).

Either way, the effect of increasing track only (no camber or toe changes) on a Z by 1/2" shouldn't have a significant effect on overall balance.