HybridZ

Diff question...

abes

Hey guys, I just bought a parts car and the guy who I bought it from told me it had an LSD from a 300zx. It has the finned cover on it and when I jacked it up i spun one wheel and the other spun along with it.

My question is how can I tell if it is an lsd, and what gear ratio is in it??

The reason I ask is because when I was removing it from the car, it looked like the diff had never been touched since the factory installed it. The 4 bolts that hold diff to the rear cross mem had never been touched. I ended up taking the entire rear sub frame/ cross mem off to remove the diff because the there is no way to reach the bolts on top of it. This is off an '83 zx by the way. Once I took it down I saw that the bolts were covered in grime leading me to believe they never removed it.

Can they have just changed the diff inside the pumpkin?? I also noticed that right above where the diff mounts(diff mount bushing), they had changed the bracket that goes connected to the chassis.

Anyway, if someone could shed some light it'll be great..

You can get a rough estimate on the gear ratio by counting the number of times the propeller shaft turns when the axle spins one complete revolution. Mine was about 3 3/4 turns, which is a 3.70 ratio. You can also see the ratio stamped onto the outer circumference of the ring gear if you take the cover off.

There are some strings in the drivetrain forum that will show you what the CLSD differential carriers look like. Just search for CLSD.