HybridZ

280ZXT Water temp/ Oil temp sender question

aarang

I was wondering if anyone knows what the water temp sender and oil temp sender resistance values are in relation to temperature changes. I've searched and looked through pretty much every FSM but cannot find a chart like the one for the CHT.

My oil temp sender has gone bad, so I tried a water temp sender in its place in the oil pan. After idling the car for five minutes the oil temp reads

280deg! I was hoping instead of buying a new oil temp sender to just slip a resistor in the circuit to correct the value of the water temp sender to make the gauge read correctly, if there is such a thing as a stock gauge reading correctly!! Maybe someone has an oil temp sender they are not using?

Thanks in advance

Aaron

I was wondering if anyone knows what the water temp sender and oil temp sender resistance values are in relation to temperature changes. I've searched and looked through pretty much every FSM but cannot find a chart like the one for the CHT.

My oil temp sender has gone bad, so I tried a water temp sender in its place in the oil pan. After idling the car for five minutes the oil temp reads

280deg! I was hoping instead of buying a new oil temp sender to just slip a resistor in the circuit to correct the value of the water temp sender to make the gauge read correctly, if there is such a thing as a stock gauge reading correctly!! Maybe someone has an oil temp sender they are not using?

Thanks in advanceAaron

Here is the information I found in the past on the water temp sender. These values are for the analog cluster not the digital.

23 C /73.4 F = 400 ohms

25 C/77 F = 386 - 365 ohms

30 C/86 F = 302 - 290 ohms

35 C/ 95 F = 238 - 228 ohms

40 C/104 F = 190 - 183 ohms

45 C/113 F = 153 - 149 ohms

50 C/122 F = 123 - 118 ohms

55 C /131 F = 98 - 95 ohms

60 C /140 F = 84.1 - 80.3 ohms

65 C/149 F = 69.0 - 67.2 ohms

70 C/158 F = 56.5 - 56.0 ohms

Here is what I found on the gauge.

Operating resistance range of the stock Z car temp gauge.

Cold - it's from 18K to 33K Ohms.

Hot - 250 - 400 Ohms

Hoped this helped, and post your results.

Thanks, that helps. I don't have a digital water temp gauge, so the values should be good. I'll try warming the car up all the way and use an analog thermometer to measure the oil temp. I'll add resistors to the sender until the gauge reads somewhat correct.

Aaron