HybridZ

radio face?mount the stereo unit

Guest buybruiser

Guest buybruiser

hi,guys,I've got a 78Z and working on the interior,there is no stereo in the center console and last owner just put a tape to cover the holes,this really bother me,every stereo shop I went won't touch it,pretty much same responds "this old model has to be a custom installation ,the face need to custom modify" sounds expensive,I wonder any body did that themselves?adives some idea would be appreciate.

hey buybruiser, i inherited a 71 240z, i know it is a different console, but i had a similar situation, the radio was taken out all the stock wiring was in there still. unfortunately they dont make a harness either for 240z so what i did, is i left the original harness in there since it is together with other wiring, i covered (taped) the ends so no grounding, and wired the new cd player in it. its pretty easy, just run speaker wires and connect them, the red wire to a fusible link(something that turns on only when the car is on), the yellow wire directly to the positive battery connector (make sure to put a weatherproof fuse($2 at radio shack)on the yellow wire close to the battery connection) and finally the black wire to a ground. i would recommend since i dont know if they have a harness for your car to put links on each wire so that if needed you can always disconnect it easily. good luck, let me know if you need any advice about stereo's, speakers, or anything having to do with hooking up the system.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a 78 280z, mine had a CD player already in it when i bought it. Last month that stereo broke so i replaced it with a newer unit. Looks like someone just cut a rectangle into the console the right size and made a thin metal bezel just large enough to fit around the stereo unit that frames it in.