HybridZ

Weld-through primers?

Boy from Oz

• 1 month later...
Guest mphillips4739

I just ordered some for the metal I am going to use to roll my pan. I plan on doing it this weekend. I will let you know how it works out. I am getting it from www.pivco.net . Not sure if they ship international though.

Mike

If you mean the epoxy primer, you may be right. This is what one web site states:

“The use of weld-through primer is being hotly debated throughout the industry, but some manufacturers, such as DaimlerChrysler, are starting to make statements against its use in certain applications,†he states. “The concern is the integrity of the weld, which is weakened if weld-through primer is present. Porosity in the weld nugget can result, causing zinc evaporation and burn off at the weld site. These conditions make the sheet metal vulnerable to corrosion because it is not protected adequately.â€

As an alternative, Olson prefers epoxy primer, which burns off at the weld site like weld-through primers, but provides better corrosion protection qualities. “Epoxies stick to bare metal with a minimum of preparation and provide the kind of corrosion protection that comes closest to the OEM e-coat,†he adds. “They performed far better in salt and corrosion tests conducted by I-CAR.

http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=148443

If i were to put a weld through primer down, it would be to stop oxidation from occuring while the car is in storage in bare metal form.

After all the work is done, one could re-prime the car, which might cost a bit more but the added benefit in knowing the welds won't be affected (because you would have sanded down the target area, in this case) by porosity is a good thing to not have to worry about.