HybridZ

msa type 3 air dam

bluez

hey guys i bought msa type 3 air dam and finding it impossible to fit on my fenders.my car is a 1977 but i had fiberglass fenders from a early year could be the 240z 1972 or so. i didn't think the fenders would be that different but it seem to be short it fit only on one side then the other side the air dam is not even close,did any one else every have this problem with the type 3 msa front air dam.

i got the same msa type 3 kit for my 71 240z...the front bumper fits pretty decently, but the side skirts are all hellafied twisted and stuff, the rear bumper's gonna take a little persuasion but it doesn't help that i have molded in fender flares that stick out far as hell heh. i liked the msa type 3 the best cause it had a gap for the fmic. all in all we gotta shoot the engine bay then finesse this body kit on there and prime the whole thing. it's a great looking kit.....i just wish it would have came out the mold or whatever they do to get the shape a little less distorted.... :/

Dave

hey guys i bought msa type 3 air dam and finding it impossible to fit on my fenders.my car is a 1977 but i had fiberglass fenders from a early year could be the 240z 1972 or so. i didn't think the fenders would be that different but it seem to be short it fit only on one side then the other side the air dam is not even close,did any one else every have this problem with the type 3 msa front air dam.

If yiu mean did any of us have to shave some on the air dam to fit,Yes we all have I would think. I had to shave on the top inner lip to center the air dam and on the inner lip going down for full tire turning purposes. I have 225-50-15 tires. With 30 year old cars nothing is going to fit right out of the box on any body part....:wink:

LARRY

ok... this might be a little out of left field..but i was looking at the type 3 also but the weight says 150lbs??? does this thing have actual bumpers?? or is it mounted with some heavy duty brackets?? just curious? i have removed my bumpers and bumpers brackets. did i do an oopsy if i want to mount that airdam?

Phantaz:

If you check, I believe that that is the rate that they ship it at. My Type 3 definitely did not weigh 150, much less 50. Mine fit so poorly when I first got it that I called up Sal (when he was at MSA) and he credited me $50. It took alot more than that in hours at the body shop to make it fit.

hey i feeling a bit better that i was not the only one with this problem.i tryed to mount the bumper today,it seemed that one side can reach the fender to fit in and where the head light bucket does not fit at all.i will try another fender and see what happen.

I put the type 3 air dam on my 77 280z was fairly easy to install , I did have a issue where the frame sticks out near the turn signals nothing a little triming didnt solve . A few months latter i ordered the matching side skirts and rear bumper &^%$& is all i have to say about installing the skirts and rear bumper .

to install the rear air damn what i did was let the gasses out of the stock bumper shock and colapsed them then i removed the stock " cover spacer" thet piece tack welded under the tail lights that covers the gap between the stock bumper and roll pan .

I bought a piece of angle iron 1 inch angle and ran it from one bumper shock to the other then bolted it into place . Then laid the bumper on top of that then secured the bumper to the wheel wells then drilled to holes through the bumper and anlge iron and bolted it into place .There are gaps but im not worried im not going for perfection just a different look .

I had a type 2 rear skirt/ bumper it was a breeze to install had a section to bolt to the roll pan the type 3 doesnt so i called MSA and asked why . They said to many people complained that the section that bolted to the roll pan left a gap between the bumper and the car about 1/8 of a inch so they elimanated it .

I now have a early 240z type air damn as the type 3 doesnt like being a snow plow as i got stuck driving through a big snow storm when i got home all i had left was a part of the molded bumper .

Jason