HybridZ

headlight/interior light issue

texis30O

I can get my blinkers to work fine, but they do not light up in the speedo like they should. When the blinkers are on I can see them pulling ele from my volt meter that I have. The side marker lights do not light up though.

I headllights will not turn on. I have checked the fuse in the center console and it is good( even changed it out). Removed the plastic collar from the steering column and checked out the harness and it looks good no corrosion on the connections at all. I am at a loss where to go from here. The wipers will turn on and off with out a problem so that leads me to believe that the mechanism is still good. When the headlights are switched on they do not draw a current from my volt meter at all. The highbeams will not light up either........

the interior dome hatch light will light up........

Anyone Anyone Anyone have any ideas...........the fuse for the headlights is in the center console, seperated left and right....correct.....

I am a real idiot when it comes to electrical.........

This is all on a 1970 240Z.....

30+ year old wiring is just an never ending source of problems. It was always a lottery when I got in the car to see what wouldn't work intermittently. Datsun runs its wiring though so many connectors you could have corrosion anywhere. This is why when I did my LT1 engine swap I completely rewired the chassis with my donor Z28 harness. After the old Datsun harness was out I started pulling connectors apart, it was scary to see all the corrosion, cracked wires and wires that had just been cut by the previous owner and left to hang.

You need to follow the wires coming off headlights back to the switch and check each connector they go through. Odds are you've lost a ground connection somewhere. Get some circuit cleaner (you can get that at Radio Shack) and spray in in all your connectors (remove the battery first) and if you can try brushing the connector pins with a small brass brush to remove any corrosion. Just because you can't see it does not mean there isn't corrosion. You might want to spray and brush your fuse panel too. I was shocked to see how bad mine was.

Not sure how far you want to go on the fix but, there is a guy on ebay that does complete refurbs for the headlight and turn signal switches for Z cars. Usually fixes all of the problems you are seeing. If you do a search for head light switch problems I believe you will find that most of the problems you see are related to the headlight switch and/or the turn signal switch.

I can't remember his userid but if you should be able to find him if you do a search on 240z headlight switches. I emailed him once in the past. Ended up using headlight switch from grab bag of replacement parts and it fixed some similar lighting problems that I had.

You can pull the blinker switch apart without too much trouble, you need to pry open the little metal tangs to get the back off. After you do that you can bend the contacts on the little rocker down so that they touch the other contacts when the the switch is pushed to that side. Put a little dab of grease on the spring to hold the ball in when you put it togethor.

It'll make more sense when you've got the switch apart in front of you...

• 1 month later...
I will check into finding him tonight on ebay. If you remember his name let me know......thanks for the help...I want to drive her at night.......with out a spotlight for a headlight....

Ok I found that guy. Here is is userid s.gifzswitchman. He has some newly refurbished switches listed right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/74-75-76-DATSUN-240Z-TURN-SIGNAL-HIGH-BEAM-SW-BEAUTIFUL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50459QQihZ011QQitemZ320206494912QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWw