HybridZ

STOLEN 280Z - from Vancouver, BC

CdnZedZilla

Hi everyone,

A friend's Red 1977 280Z was stolen in Vancouver, BC (Hamilton St. at Pender downtown for the Vancouver / BC area Z Driver members). This happened on Friday night (Nov 16) between 10pm and 1am.

Please keep a look out and if you see one, please call the cops with the plate. Who knows, maybe its the one. It would suck to get our cars stolen, and of course he's heartbroken. Maybe we can help.

Thanks

0102110103120116102007111777bcb1681af1dce84c0055a2.jpg01150201021101041020071117538f3c7c3f9b1c66420073b6.jpg

It'd be a lot easier to cooperate with your post if we had at least some actual info... plate would be nice, for example, as well as contact info for the owner. PD is not really all that interested in cooperating with people who call in on the emergency or dispatch lines with,

"Uh, I saw a red 280Z, and I heard one was stolen, so... like... maybe check it out."

"What? No, it's not mine."

"A friend? No, he's not my... I mean, yes, he - well, no."

"No, I don't know his name. Actually, I read about it on the Intern..."

*click*

Good luck in the recovery, tho!

It'd be a lot easier to cooperate with your post if we had at least some actual info... plate would be nice, for example, as well as contact info for the owner. PD is not really all that interested in cooperating with people who call in on the emergency or dispatch lines with,

"Uh, I saw a red 280Z, and I heard one was stolen, so... like... maybe check it out."

"What? No, it's not mine."

"A friend? No, he's not my... I mean, yes, he - well, no."

"No, I don't know his name. Actually, I read about it on the Intern..."

*click*

Good luck in the recovery, tho!

Doc Hawk, I am not quite sure how to take your post. I know you are trying to help but, in my opinion, your delivery needs a bit of work. Regardless, your point is well taken.

The owner's name is Brock and his phone number is 778-998-7404. Thats all the info I have as he is a "friend" by virtue of being a Z owner. I don't know him personally. In short, I saw his post about his stolen Z in the Vancouver Craigslist and thought to pass it on to some popular Datsun forums, primarily to get the word out amongst the Datsun community.

...and by all means call the police if you see a BC plated Datsun in the San Diego area that resembles the one in the picture. I am sure, at the very least, they will check the license plate on their system. Although, you might agree that it is quite unlikely that the car will be driven to the states still carrying the BC stolen plates.

Thanks to all.

Are there any unique parts on the car that may show up for sale on the net and give a clue? We have lots of people on this site that are very in tune with the Z car parts markets, including in the Great White North.

1) It was either a joyride, or

2) It will be parted out and sold.

Doc Hawk, I am not quite sure how to take your post. I know you are trying to help but, in my opinion, your delivery needs a bit of work. Regardless, your point is well taken.

My delivery was exactly as intended - providing a bit of guidance and constructive criticism, with a little poking fun as well, for entertainment value (for everyone) and to help the lesson stick (for you). When a lesson causes an emotional response of any kind, it is exponentially more likely to be remembered. As proof of that, it prompted you to respond and question my method, which indicates that you at least gave it some thought. :wink:

This forum is particularly welcoming to new members such as yourself. Quite often, one or more of the first posts from new members are flawed for various reasons - they ask something that has been answered many times and is readily available in the archives and FAQ, they want a one-line answer to a complex question ("what suspension is best?"), or they ask for help or input without providing enough information to the reader, as in this case.

A good rule of thumb is that the quality of responses to a post will likely match the quality of the original post. If someone posts a long run-on sentence with no punctuation, people won't be able to suffer through the question long enough to bother to post an answer. In your case, posting an alert with little information to actually act upon meant that even if someone wanted to help, they'd be pretty limited by your lack of completeness. Obviously, theft of a Z is something that we all care about and want to help with, so rather than blow off your post, I pointed out the problem in the hopes that you would fix it. You did; good job.

Regards,

Are there any unique parts on the car that may show up for sale on the net and give a clue? We have lots of people on this site that are very in tune with the Z car parts markets, including in the Great White North.

1) It was either a joyride, or

2) It will be parted out and sold.

From what I know, the only thing unique about that car is how stock it appears. The red would help make it that much more noticeable on the road. I will message him via Craigslist and see if he can shed some light on this topic.

I believe you have summed up the scenario possibility well with those two points. Hopefully it is a case of point "1)".

...and, I do appreciate your non judgmental approach. I am sure no one would want to have this "please look out for the stolen Z" post turn into a "schooling the newbie" post. We all have better things to do with our time.

Guest broccoliZ

Hi guys, see the BC plate number above in the subject line (649 JTF).

Thanks for posting here, Zedzilla.

As pointed out above, its a pretty stock car. I can't imagine why someone would go to the trouble of parting it out and am hoping it is a crackhead joyride.

It has been almost a week though, so who knows.

There are a few little details like lack of driver side mirror, square magnaflow tip, which might help to identify it if the car was whole. Original color was 611 metallic wine red, which is still visible in the engine bay and around door hinges.

As far as distinct parts go, it has a new OEM hood (non vented, no emblem) quite fresh paint. The colour on the underside is more orange than the 905 red it was trying to match and it is dented a bit in the center from where a big raccoon jumped on it.

It has a zx alternator and the rad has recently been redone and dipped so is pretty fresh black.

Seems like a bit of a stretch though - by the time someone sees any of that on ebay, it'll be too late...

Anyways, thanks for the support you guys,

-B

Good info Broccoli. The 240Z parts / resale market is a relatively small niche, so if it appears there is actually a decent chance someone here will notice. I am tending to think it's going to turn up on a back road or an industrial area somewhere within the month. A member of the Z club down here just had that happen to them over the summer. Turned up 2 months later abandoned with wheels missing, a torn airdam and a scuffed muffler. He's pretty sure the body damage came from the lazy tow truck operator, not the thief.

Guest broccoliZ

An update : My Z was recovered by the police in Delta, BC last night. Haven't seen her yet, but I'm optimistic. The constable said it looked like just lock cylinder and ignition cylinder, so fingers crossed...

Thanks for all the support here. Datsun owners rule !