HybridZ

RB20 injector upgrade issues

mannyvig

We had known that a few of our injectors were leaking from the seals and therefore needed new seals. After playing around at the dealership we found that the KA24e (single cam) Injector o-rings worked for the top feed RB's. When swapping the rings one of the injectors , of course, rolled off the bench and cracked on the floor. We stole the 440's from the gtr project and installed them.

Here is where the trouble starts. I know the 20 injectors are high impedance and the 26's are low. after reading tons of posts we knew that we needed a sort of dropping resistor. I have done this for the GTR's (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126218) and worked out great but the difference is that we just ran straight switched on power then split into six with resistors and ran that to the injectors.

The 20 is different so we found the power to the injectors coming from pin 109 out of the ecu and then goes to a 6 pin connector directly above the intake. We installed a 10 ohm resistor here because it was nearly impossible to put resistors any closer to the injectors.

At first the car wouldn't start. Took the pipe off the Tb and did the good ole brake cleaner method. it fired and ran (throttle slightly open). With a stethoscope it seemed like the injectors were firing . It ran for several minutes, however when we tried to go wot or put the cold pipe back on the engine would sputter and nearly die. No codes so far.

Any ideas. Did we do the resistance part correctly. Please remember its a lot different than the 26. Heard of plenty of people doing this mod but could not come across a detailed description.

By the way the 20 is obviously out of an ECCS R32 and so is the 26 we stole the injectors from .

PLEASE HELP HURRY!!!!

Also it did run before for about 10 min without the pipe and starting with the air of the brake clean. now it wont run on its own at all. Only with the brake cleaner. I can still hear the injectors clicking and there is fuel pressure.

The car ran beautifully a day ago. AAAHHHH

I have what you need. You can't run just one resistor, not to mention you have the wrong one too. You need to run 10v 6.8ohm resistors for each injector seperately. I actually got six of them and was ready to make my own resistor box before I found a good deal on a factory one. These are a pain to find for some reason. None of the Radio Shacks have them and I had to go to both of the Fry's Electronics stores to get 6 of them.

Brian

Ok now we changed the setup. Resoldered everything back to stock and installed new resistors (thanks brian) on the ecu ground side of all six injectors. Now on the ground side to not rob any power from the injector but to keep the ecu safe.

There is definately fuel pressure and now the injectors are clicking but still not running. Still starts and runs with brakeclean so the spark is still good.

we can hear the clickin with the stethoscope while the engine is cranking over. However, it will not light up a good bosch noid light.

This is frusturating the **** out of me now.

Please what am I still doing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Our rb20 gets power and switched ground straight from the ecu so we just opted to run the resistor near the ecu and put it in a little box and make it look really nice (ecu and resistors are in the glove box).

No AFC yet but we have an ECU tuned for the 440s and all the other stuff we have added. The ecu was "tuned" by Carl H (nico forums) in North Carolina. He did an awesome job and for a great price.

So the car runs awesome now thanks for everyones help once again.