HybridZ

Couple LT1 swap questions

I did as much searching as my tired eyes would allow last night on LT1 conversions and am curious about something. I'm interested in a local 280Z and one 240Z. With past Zs, I've always tossed around the idea of installing a turbo Z engine over the stock n/a one. Here in lies my question. Since you have to install a new ECU and a different fuel injection wiring harness to get a L28ET in there and fired up, isn't that just about as much work wiring wise as installing an LT1 (after the JTR mounts are used) since you have to install it's PCM and correct fuel injection harness to get it to fire up? I was talking to an LT1 swapper in PMs and he said basically, to at least get the engine to start, it's essentially plug and play. Get power to the ECU, hook up the sensors on the engine into the PCM, and give it some juice. If I used mechanical oil pressure and water tempterature guages to at least get that part of the engine running health covered and monitered, it shouldn't be to hard to at least get the engine in and functioning should it? I know there's a lot more involved to get it to be a daily driver, but as far as having it installed and at least being able to fire it up, it seems pretty simple.

Also, I had a guy respond about an 84k LT1 from a Caddy with wiring, PCM, and accessories for $550. I know some LT1s have different heads or use different parts that might make the swap more difficult into a Z and the F-body is the preferred plug and play engine, but I'm just curious about the one from a Caddy.

The LT1 from the caddy will have the iron heads and a milder cam but other than that is essentially the same as the F-Body engine. The one thing you run into with the F-Body and B-Body (Caddy, Caprice, Roadmaster, etc.) LT1 is the accessories don't all work in the stock locations. The AC can not stay where it is if you use the JTR mounts. This means you either eliminate or relocate it.

The wiring is not that difficult depending on how much you decide to remove from the harness. I used a T5 transmission with mine which meant I had to figure a way to create a VSS but if you use a T56 or the stock auto (4L60E) you won't have to do this. It all depends on how much of the original drivetrain you use and whether you want to retain the stock Datsun gauges. I was able to make all the stock guages work by following the instructions in the JTR manual.

Good Luck.

Wheelman

Ok wasn't sure if the Caddy LT1 was grouped in with like the Caprice and all that had the iron heads. And who needs a/c in a hot rod :)

I knew the JTR manual told you how to use stock guages but wasn't sure it'd work with a newer LT1. I would probably have known that if they had ever sent me my book when I ordered it. Maybe I can try ordering another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/How-to-put-a-Chevy-V8-into-a-Datsun-Z-240-260-280_W0QQitemZ170165121513QQihZ007QQcategoryZ13561QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I knew the JTR manual told you how to use stock guages but wasn't sure it'd work with a newer LT1. I would probably have known that if they had ever sent me my book when I ordered it. Maybe I can try ordering another one.

The one guage that isn't covered by the JTR manual in regards to the LT1 is the tach. I used the output from the PCM instead of connecting to the ignition. Other than that all the guages can be made to work exactly like an earlier SBC.

My sentiments exactly in reference to not needing AC. I thought I wouldn't want PS but have decided to install it. After auto-xing the car a few times I relized the large tires and extra weight on the front make for a tiring experience.

Wheelman