HybridZ

Hydraulic Release Bearings

Careless

Hey Careless

Ive been looking into this as well. But I cant seem to find out what the benefits of this are. Found Tilton has "universal" units that could be modified to work http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=82,150_4026&action=product but it seems expensive when you consider the cost of a throw out bearing. $30 vs $300+.

Potential benefits:

Take out fork slop

No Slave so direct and quicker input

More space avaialble for exhaust or whatever clearance is required

????

?????

I just dont know................

well it would also prolong clutch life because it would distribute bearing force over the entire circumference of the bearing + pressure levers, rather than start at one point and engage fully (while it still happens fairly quickly anyway)

but that quarter of a second at, say.... 7000 RPM means that it would be riding on an unseated bearing 29 times by the time that quarter second is over.

just a simple calculation, obviously, but my main concern is the drive ability and the wear characteristics of not only the clutch disc itself but the flywheel and the hydraulic bearing too. How long do they last before the piston needs a re bore and oversize?

External bleed setup seems ideal too.

Also, as the clutch wears down, it still makes a full grab because the bearings are self adjusting, meaning they always clamp completely, rather then to the point where the fork remains at full lock.

LS1 T56's carry this setup, i believe.