HybridZ

t56 length, cost

Guest Will

I am thinking of using a t56 for a different project ('73 Triumph Stag) and I need to know the distance from the bell housing mounting flange to approximately the center of the shifter so that I know if it is even possible.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also, how much did you pay or were you quoted for your new or used t56?

Guest Anonymous

Heres a diagram and the text will follow for the dimensions:

critical%20dimensions.jpeg

Critical Dimensions

Listed below are the critical dimensions of the T56 in comparison to T5 and traditional four-speeds. Metric dimensions are converted to inches and rounded off to the nearest 0.1 inch.

Trans Model

GM Super T10 Muncie

a: 6.3

b: 14.2

c: 23

d: n/a

e: n/a

f: 3.75

GM T5 V8

b: 16

c: 25

d: 19

e: 21.2

GM T56 F-car Prod

a: 4.9

b: 21

c: 26.4

d: 21.1

e: 23.9

GM T56 F-car After- market

b: 21.5

c: 27

d: 21.6

e: 21.6

This was off of the website: http://drivetrain.com

It has all this in table form that might be easier to understand.

Regards,

Lone

ps: Price seems to be all over the map, with guys finding them from a 1000.00 to 1700 (I paid the later, but got all of the parts and a driveshaft).

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 14, 2001).]

Thanks for the Info.

I want to what I'm in for before I buy the car. I'm having a hard time getting car dimensions from the Stag community. They seem to think I'm a heretic of some sort biggrin.gif

Am I stupid? I can't find that table on drivetrain.com

Could you please post directions?

Is D or E is the distance to the shifter on the T-56? Is the trans pictured on the bottom an external linkage unit?

My father has a Saginaw 4 speed w/ Borg-Warner OD behind an L99 from '94 Caprice in a 75 280Z. It's a very nice package. The transmission is an external linkage type, and he uses a 60's Corvette shifter with it.

Guest Anonymous

The 'E' dimensions is I believe to the center of the shifter. The 'D' dimension is to the speedo cable outlet (the pictured tranny looks like a drawing of a aftermarket T56 which has a mechanical speedo instead of the F-body electronic unit.).

Heres the specific page, it was actually a reprint they had on there site of a installation on a T56 into a earlier chevy.

http://www.drivetrain.com/gmt56inst.html

Have you tried this site for V8/brit car info:

http://members.aol.com/danmas/

They might have some one who will help without being a purist brit sport car owner, they have LOTS of v8/v6 converted cars.

Good luck,

Lone

I've seen that Brit sports car site. It's good info and good entertainment. I don't think it has anything on the Stag, other than links to a couple of Triumph groups. The Stag was an extremely low production car compared to other Triumphs. I've heard that only 3000 or less made it to the US in the entire production run.

I was thinking that D was the distance to the speedometer pickup.

Do you know the width of the trans at top and/or bottom? That's the next fitment issue to deal with.

Guest Anonymous

I don't have those dimensions without climbing under the car. Here is a picture though of its view from the bottom. I can tell you its NOT a little unit.

trannie24.jpeg

Guessing? About 10 inches, but I would find a close dismantler with one and yardstick it. Depending on what your wanting to spend on the project, you may want to look at a Tremec 5sp, it has the ability to put the shifter in 3 different locations (closer or farther) in relationship to the bellhousing. This is normally used in the Mustang aftermarket, but

a few companies make them for the chevy engine in a conversion. Moderator here, Pete Paraska runs one of these in his car and at his page, he has info on them:

http://members.home.net/pparaska/index.htm

It might be better suited to smaller transmission tunnels and its about price difference is a bit cheaper than a T56 setup (and thats for a brand new tranny.). Just a thought.

Lone

Ps: I've heard of that model Stag, but honestly have never seen one. I always wanted to do a Tr-6, may still someday.

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 15, 2001).]

Lone, I may catch some flak here from others, but the Stag has to be the best looking car Triumph put out. It certainly looks the most expensive. Occasionally I'll see one in the paper for sale. They seem to sell for anywhere from $3000-$7000. I even saw one with a Chevy (or was it Ford?) engine conversion once! Not many people would know what kind of car it was if you owned a Stag. Man, one with an EFI Ford swap and painted bright red or BRG, man that's the BOMB! Very cool! Lone if you ever look into doing a Brit swap, check out a Stag first before you make a decision.

David

Ford ?! FORD?!? Wash your mouth out with soap!

"Good Looking" is one of several reasons I'm looking at the Stag: it looks good, it's very rare, I've never heard anything negative about the ride or handling, it was meant as a luxury car, and it's light (under 3K lbs).

Unfortunately, it's from the era when it was fashionable for Mr. Brit to tinker with his car a little bit every day--not repair, not replace worn parts, not get anything useful done, just tinker--silly stuff, like keeping carbuerettor dashpots full. I don't want to screw with crazy stuff like that, or the inherent unreliability and tendency to overheat included free of charge with any car imported from Britain.

Anyway, I want to build a 400 bore/327 stroke 350 with vortec heads and a 400 hp target for that car. It will be fuel injected, I just haven't decided exactly how, although I am leaning toward a Weber look alike setup with individual cylinder throttle bodies.

Lone - the Tremec 5speed is a big heavy pig too. It CAN be swapped in place of a T5 but it's still pretty fat. I'll never forget sweating on my back one day trying to get that sucker in the darned car! It can move th eshifter aorund some though and that's a big plus. Not sure how easy it is to do this or how expensive the parts are but in this case it certainly offers some help on placement.

Jim, the other locations for the shifter on the Tremec 5spd (TR-3550 and TKO) are way forward of the rear position that is still 1.5" forward of the T-5 shifter location. I can't think of a setup that would use it, besides some kind of WAY setback engine.

The Tremec 5spd is a big pig - proabbly darn close in size and weight to the T-56.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

I'll take your word for it, never seen one in person, I darn sure wouldn't want to have either one of them laying on me. My buddy and I dropped a Mopar cast 4sp from a 440 out one time without a jack. Talk about stupid, thought a anvil fell on us. Sheesh. Needless to say we rented a tranny jack to put it back up. I have a motorcycle lift I'd use for that under the car tranny wrestling, it'll hold 1300 lbs, so nothing short of a Alison would cause it much grief.

Lone