HybridZ

Who sells vented front rotors for a stock setup?!

Stock brakes are fine.. but damn they overheat quickly..

After 3 track sessions of stock brakes.. after trying different pads and fluids.. I couldnt take it anymore..

the Toyo non-vented lasted a bit longer.. but still a bad decision.

I am just going to do it right the 3rd time and go Arizona lol

thanks for all the input, I can always cound on this site for great advice and sound technical discussion...

It depends on what you are doing with the car.

I hope to go for about 300hp and use it for a weekend driver, no track or autox time.

IMO, if it is a 400rwhp track car I wouldn't even think about stock brakes or Z31 brakes. If it is has a mild engine and see's only street and auto X, I would run stock brakes with a decent pad. If it is in between or has boost, I would atleast run the Z31 vented/ toy caliper. I wouldn't even mess with a solid rotor and Toy caliper. The problem is the solid rotor.

thanks again!

CP vintage cars have similar brakes. Some run early ZX rear disk, but the acceptable front mod is the 4x4 setup. The cars are pretty damn fast too. Surprisingly when I weighed the non-vented 4x4 caliper it was only 2 lbs heavier than the stock caliper. The vented caliper might be a bit heavier, but it's not as bad a weight disadvantage as you would think just looking at the two next to each other.

The weight difference between the stock and vented 4x4 calipers sure seemed a LOT more than 2 pounds per side. But I didn't weight them so I can't say what the difference is. The vented calipers are a load.

The rotors add a pound or two also.

The weight difference between the stock and vented 4x4 calipers sure seemed a LOT more than 2 pounds per side. But I didn't weight them so I can't say what the difference is. The vented calipers are a load.

The rotors add a pound or two also.

Plus the weight is on the suspension which makes it worst place for it. Not even accounting for unsprung weight of the rotor.

I had upgraded stock brakes in my red z and did a few solo II events and lots of heavy driving and never had a problem with them. I know if I had to do a road course I would have had to upgrade them. I was running hawk pads in front, new rotors, metal brake lines, Green shoes, and a 15/16" master cylinder, oh and motul 600 brake fluid.