HybridZ

2mm Headgasket + .040" shaved head= 1mm headgasket?

Thumper

I'll be building up another l28 soon and it looks like the only 1mm metal headgasket available is twice as expensive as the 2mm one. So since i'm shaving the head anyway to make it flat I was thinking I could run a 2mm head gasket and shave the head .040" which is 1mm to make it be like I was running a 1mm head gasket. The only problem I can see is combustion chamber and quench area being affected.

So do you think there is enough sidewall area to shave .040" without touching the chamber or should I only do .020" to be safe. .020" will equal 7.25:1 so its not terrible but I like 7.52:1 more. Thanks

P.S. Why is it called .020" and not .02"? LOL

Its early, but I think 1mm shave and 2mm gasket will be the same as running a 1mm gasket with no shave. The things you're concerned with are the height of the cam towers, as it affects timing, and not altering the shape of the chamber (too much).

Its called 0.020" because the measurement is in thousanths of an inch. 0.020" = `20 thou'. 0.02" = `2 hundreths', which doesn't sound anywhere near as cool.

Dave

Its early, but I think 1mm shave and 2mm gasket will be the same as running a 1mm gasket with no shave. The things you're concerned with are the height of the cam towers, as it affects timing, and not altering the shape of the chamber (too much).

Its called 0.020" because the measurement is in thousanths of an inch. 0.020" = `20 thou'. 0.02" = `2 hundreths', which doesn't sound anywhere near as cool.

Dave

Yeah I know about the hundreths, thousandths, ten-thousandths, hundred thousandths, etc... but other than SOUNDING cool why do we say 20 thousandths instead of 2 hundreths. LOL

they add the "0" after the 2 to denote that it IS a "0" after the two. technically speaking with out denoting what the following digit is it can be anything as long as the 2 is correct.. so a .02" could be .021" and so forth as its not an exact measurement. in the world of clearances etc they are exact, .020" is exactly that and only that.

they add the "0" after the 2 to denote that it IS a "0" after the two. technically speaking with out denoting what the following digit is it can be anything as long as the 2 is correct.. so a .02" could be .021" and so forth as its not an exact measurement. in the world of clearances etc they are exact, .020" is exactly that and only that.

Now that seems logical. Sure it sounds cool like helix said but Janaka sounds logical so I like his explanation better. Thanks

just get the 2mm multi layer and take 1/2 the layers out. that's the only diff anyway.

I never thought about that. So I believe a 1mm head gasket is 2-3 layers so a 2mm just had twice the layers. So if one wanted you could buy one 2mm headgasket and then split it. That doesn't make sense. What about movement, lips, sealing surfaces. I don't think it could be that easy, could it?