HybridZ

5-lug adaptors -- Ross C. ?

I have a 1971 240Z Hybrid, old 4-lug 14" X 6" Bob Sharp wheels and 195/70-14 tires. Time for an upgrade, right? Oh, got new coilovers also.

My son has a 1993 300ZX convertible with stock 5-lug 16" wheels. He's interested in upgrading to a 17" or 18" chrome wheel, and I got to thinking "What would it take to put his wheels and tires on my '71 ??"

Are there 5-lug adaptors with the proper bolt circle and offset available?

Ross--what are my options?

Anybody--can this be done?

--JohnG

Ross should really be the guy putting the facts here, but just a guess would lead one to believe that the balance would not be great in a 4 to 5 lug...still, VW bugs used these kinds of adapter for years that I'm aware of, but those cars lack serious power or RPMs for that matter. Better email Ross and ask him for yourself, then post back!!

Davy

I looked at that link, they look like 3 piece adaptors?!?! I'm just not a fan of adding extra parts and additional fasteners, in particular in areas not easily or normally checked.

But I've had a 4 to 5 bolt one piece adaptor design shelved for some time. It's a more detailed install and not one I'm overly comfortable offering up to the masses. And for only a very few would it be the correct thickness as is.......so if other 'offset' correcting methods were required that would be an additional piece and if rear has to go 5lug.......just seems the prepped stub axles and 5lug hubs are a relatively easy step as those swapping seem to typically be doing brakes as well. I'd rather set someone up with a single one piece adaptor that nails their total requirements in one piece. You guys agree or strongly disagree...it's your input that's always of great use and has shaped most of the new products I now have.

Feel free to cc your notes here to me via personal email sales@modern-motorsports.com as I'm not in here as regularly as I'd like.

I was originally going to go with 300zx hubs up front and redrill the rears for 5 lugs, as many have done. Once I started looking into things, I found that I needed to have a pretty thick spacer made up for my front discs, and had to adapt the 5 bolt hub back to 4 bolt for my AZ ZCar brakes to work (I've had them a long time - long before anything else was available).

In addition to that, I was still going to need pretty sizeable 1 piece spacers to get an off the shelf wheel to work. It was at this point that I decided that a well engineered 2-piece 4 to 5 lug adapter was a better solution than going with actual 5 lug hubs, looong studs and spacers. Since I didn't have to mess with spacers for the front discs, I actually had less mass than I would have had with 5 lug hubs.

The thing that cinched it for me was the fact that I could now go to a 5 on 4-3/4" bolt pattern. This allowed me to use C5 Corvette wheels, which I was able to find for a reasonable price.

Anyway, I did check his website at the time, and if Ross would have had them available I would have bought them from him.

Also, I have not had any problems with balance with these adapters.