HybridZ

om617 in a Z?

kdouze

hi all,

this is out of sheer curiosity for the moment, although if possible i would look into doing this in a few years.

has anyone seen or even heard of swapping an om617 from a w123 mercedes diesel into a z?

i like the idea of diesel engines because of their huge compression and low end torque, also the possibility of veggie oil convert with gas prices looking to reach $4/gal in less than a year in cali.

i know there are diesel swaps from the ld28 blocks but my dad had an 80's benz 300d and that thing ran forever, they are known for going over 500,000 miles.

i used the search tool and got no hits, maybe someone has some knowhow with the benz engine?

I've never seen one, but I imagine it would work. I don't know how large the Mercedes-Benz engines are, but as long as they're not too big, it should work.

Also, be sure to check into WVO technology before you dive head first into it. It's not as simple as dumping the stuff into your tank and going. Do a little research on google about kits to convert WVO into usable fuel.

i have looked into wvo a bit, i'd probably just leave it diesel but having the option for converting in case i want to dive into wvo.

the engine is smaller than a sbc so fitting it shouldnt be a problem, its a 2995cc engine inline 5, the tranny mated with it is auto but i know of a 4-speed that would fit from a smaller benz diesel no problem. im not sure of the size of the tranny tho.

the benz is a 2ton car and the motor moves it pretty well, id like to see what it could do in a z that weight at least 1500lbs less

Do yourself a favour and don't do this... This will only make your car feel so slow that you'll regret it. Oldschool diesel engines are great when it comes to fitting huge turbos and blowing the crap out of them, but without any mods, they are good only for Taxis... They're indestructible, and this is why they gained such good reputation among European Taxi drivers.

I'm just wondering - why do you want to cut costs of fuel in a Z, or any sports car for that matter? Seems illogical to me... Old diesels were made for passenger and commercial cars and trucks, but it is starting to change nowadays. But still, this is a BENZ engine - do you expect good performance from it? I wouldn't.

im interested in making a fuel friendly reliable car and the z, being smog exempt, would make it an easier chore. plus the z just looks cool and handles well, with the low-end torque provided by the diesel this would be fun for windy roads.

I say go for it! Not for the fuel economy (although that's a nice benefit), but just because I'm a diesel junkie. I can't wait to start making some money so as that I can buy myself a couple of diesels. The smell of diesel fuel, low-end torque, and black smoke make it all worth while! :2thumbs:

I drove a gold, 1984, 300D until I could not stand to look at it anymore. Then my wife drove the thing until she had bashed it's body to pieces. Then we sold it to the neighbors and their kid drove it until they wrecked it. Then some guy came by my house asking me to sign off on paperwork for a salvage title so he could fix it up and drive it some more. The damn thing had 150,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1994, It had nearly 300,000 miles on it when the neighbors kid wrecked it. I think it is probably still ticking off the miles in Mexico somewhere.

I don't think I would put that kind of motor in my Z car, but it was an impressive car. It would definitely haul ass once the turbo got going. I don't think you have many tranny options and that Merc auto-tranny shifted like a train wreck.