HybridZ

Spin-off: post your Craigslist buy/sell stories

auxilary

not sexual/casual encounters. We'll do that in another thread.

Here are a few of mine:

I bought a junk turbo2 rotary motor to dismantle for parts and practice and to keep the tranny. I had a set of upper and lower manifolds for sale. They were oxidized, taking up space in my garage, and I figured I'd sell them on CL. Posted an ad asking $40 for the pair, mind you, normal price is about 80 bucks

I get an email back: "Hi, I don't need these, but I can take them off your hands for free to help you clean out the garage"

To which I replied: "Well, I'd love to sit and wait and arrange for you to pick these up, however, it's a lot faster for me to throw these in the trash."

Which I did.

Story #2 I was selling my 2nd YZF600R bike, and I put it up on craigslist. Price said "3,600 OBO"

First of all, when you say that, people will always email and ask "what's the lowest you'll go?" to which I always reply with "whatever the price is. But if you want to show up with cash in hand, we can haggle"

One guy emails me with "$3,600? For a used 600? My friend just bought a 2001 (the year was 2005) honda superhawk for $2900! And it looks brand new!"

me: "well, does it have a salvage title?"

guy: "uh, um... yeah... but it looks brand new, and works fantastic"

me: "go ahead and buy one then. Just keep in mind the word "salvage title" when your frame cracks through a turn and causes you to fly somewhere you didn't intend to"

Guy #2 emails me with "I have a compaq iPaq [pocket pc] and $1,000. will you be interested in making a trade?"

me: "well, come up with 2,600 more, keep your ipaq, and we'll talk"

Guy #3 emails me with "Will you take $1,500 for the bike?"

me: "Sure, as downpayment until you get me the other 2,100"

I sold the bike to a sensible rider for $3,300, threw in accessories, tank bag, chain and lock, and cover.

Story #3. Not directly CL related, but I'd post it since I put the ad on CL anyway.

I sold my Neon R/T, and had some parts left over, namely a stock 16mm rear sway bar. it was in perfect shape, since I replaced it with a 22mm unit, and this just sat for years without any use. Now I really had 0 use for it. So I sent an email to the local bay area neon email list saying if someone wants it for free, it's theirs.

I get a reply back from one guy saying "hey, I could use it. You mind dropping it off in San Jose?"

I replied with "if by 'San Jose' you mean my dumpster, it's already on your doorstep"

Story #3. Not directly CL related, but I'd post it since I put the ad on CL anyway.

I sold my Neon R/T, and had some parts left over, namely a stock 16mm rear sway bar. it was in perfect shape, since I replaced it with a 22mm unit, and this just sat for years without any use. Now I really had 0 use for it. So I sent an email to the local bay area neon email list saying if someone wants it for free, it's theirs.

I get a reply back from one guy saying "hey, I could use it. You mind dropping it off in San Jose?"

I replied with "if by 'San Jose' you mean my dumpster, it's already on your doorstep"

That story is great! :lmao:

I've been looking for a newer snowmobile on craigslist. The thiefing asshats from ebay are on there now. This guys is trying to sell me this I live in Germany and will send you the sled line. He even had a fake shipping site to go to. It was http://www.globaly-logistics.com . The site has some dead links (a sure sign of fraud) and they only took money orders and western union. Yeah right, I'll get right on that. I also found out that they were selling the same snowmobile in Austin, Tx. Who would a snowmobile there? Oh well, I reported them to Craigslist and got the adds removed.

This is a different type of craiglist story, but..

I was looking for some weight equipment and went to this guys place to buy his bar and weights. I show up and he is state patrol. So I tell him that my brother-in-law is state patrol. He asks what my brother-in-law's name is so I tell him. Oh, I know him, we are good friends. He then proceeds to call the brother-in-law on the speaker phone. He tells him "Hey, I've got somebody here that says they know you", then I start talking on the phone and it goes like this: (keep in mind that the brother-in-law knows I build fast cars)

me: "Hey, whats up?"

brother-in-law: "Who is this?"

me: "It's Bryan"

brother-in-law: "What did you do? What car are you driving? You had to be doing something really bad to get pulled over by this guy, he never pulls anyone over."

Me and the other guy are ROFL at this point. Then we explained the real story. Just another craiglist encounter.