HybridZ

240z flywheel with 5-speed

ottoauto

just wanted to make sure that im not going to have a problem with clutch if i throw a 5-speed in my 240z. clutch should only have to match the flywheel but i figured i should check. i also wanted to see if i would have to shorten my driveshaft, i've been told that i would and read that i wouldn't. will someone give me a straight answer. im pulling it out of a possible 2x2 car but will be using my driveshaft. I would appreciate any adivice. my first z car and hope to one one always

Swapping all of the clutch related parts should be a no-brainer and work fine. As for driveshafts, I think you'll have to modify yours to fit. Does your 4 speed have a slip yoke for the output or a flange? You can measure the lengths of your transmissions to determine if there is a difference. Any difference will translate to modding the DS.

Otto, I have a 72 240. I pulled a trans out of a 79 2+2 and it fit no problems. Just make sure you get the clutchfork and thowout assembly with the trans that you pull. I used my original driveline with no issues. Both transmissions were slip yolks.

As far as transmission choice I would opt for the close ratio box which comes out of the 81 through 83 zx's. Im reading this as if you have a choice of cars you can pull this out of.

Good luck.

Otto, I have a 72 240. I pulled a trans out of a 79 2+2 and it fit no problems. Just make sure you get the clutchfork and thowout assembly with the trans that you pull. I used my original driveline with no issues. Both transmissions were slip yolks.

As far as transmission choice I would opt for the close ratio box which comes out of the 81 through 83 zx's. Im reading this as if you have a choice of cars you can pull this out of.

Good luck.

Fortunately i beleive the car is from that period, but i didn't know that and im glad to hear it. does this require modification to the tranny mounts? if you can't tell this is my first z and i've never done this one before.

My conversion to the 5 speed was purely bolt in. I used the original mounts from the 240z. The way I recall this is I used the clutch and trans stuff from the doner car. I used the shifter from the 240, and it to is a drop in to the 5 speed, so no worries there.

trans - from doner

throwout bearing and clutch fork from doner

shifter - used the 240

driveline - used the 240

transmount - used the 240

Now one note: The motor I have is a 75 280. It was changed by the previous owner. I don't know if that means I still had the 240 clutch or the 280 clutch. Come to think of it, I don't even know if they are different.

Good luck!