HybridZ

Short Shifter "Modifications"

Careless

So the Z32 FS5R30A is different enough that the turbo short shifters that I see don't quite work on Z31's. Apparently the FS5W17 short shifters can be modified to be used... WHAT MODIFICATIONS are they.

I've searched through most of the threads on the z31 sites, and all I find are "they need modifications" and stuff like that. If someone has used one, please let me know.

MSA Has a special on a short shifter, linked here:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC02A/20-1055

has anyone had good experiences with this particular model?

How substantially is the throw decreased?

Everyone says "get the B&M" but the 240sx B&M's had a whining issue, and I'd rather not have that in the car yelling at me. What are some good alternatives?

Thanks guys

Guest phillyd
So the Z32 FS5R30A is different enough that the turbo short shifters that I see don't quite work on Z31's. Apparently the FS5W17 short shifters can be modified to be used... WHAT MODIFICATIONS are they.

I've searched through most of the threads on the z31 sites, and all I find are "they need modifications" and stuff like that. If someone has used one, please let me know.

MSA Has a special on a short shifter, linked here:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC02A/20-1055

has anyone had good experiences with this particular model?

How substantially is the throw decreased?

Everyone says "get the B&M" but the 240sx B&M's had a whining issue, and I'd rather not have that in the car yelling at me. What are some good alternatives?

Thanks guys

I purchased that same SS from MSA and installed it about month or so ago on my '88 z31. I followed these instructions (even though it is a different shifter, it is still the same basic install). http://300zx.tombeauchamp.com/05_03_27_OBX_Shifter_Install.shtml

I am pretty sure the only 'mod' was making the little poly piece that fits on the bottom of the new shifter a little bit bigger. There may be something else I am not remembering, but it was a fairly straight forward install.

Be sure to have some snap ring pliers...you will need them when removing the stock shifter, see link above.

The throw is SOOOO MUCH BETTER with the new shifter! I highly recommend it! The first time I drove it after the install I hesitated on a few shifts, it was so short I was not sure if the car was in gear! :burnout:

Nice!

so I take it that the modification is to grind out the little plastic ball end so that it doesn't split like a soda cracker?

How much was shipping for you anyway?

Are these the same modifications that have to be done to the FC5W17C shifters too!?

Thanks for the snap-ring plier heads up :D

(hows your poly suspension?... good stuff? worth money?)

Guest phillyd
Nice!

so I take it that the modification is to grind out the little plastic ball end so that it doesn't split like a soda cracker?

How much was shipping for you anyway?

Are these the same modifications that have to be done to the FC5W17C shifters too!?

Thanks for the snap-ring plier heads up :D

(hows your poly suspension?... good stuff? worth money?)

Yes, I believe I used a round bastard file to increase the size of the opening.

I ordered several items together from MSA and I don't really remember what the shipping cost. I would have remembered if it was over priced, so it was probably a fair price.

Not sure about the FC5W17C, I just know that I order that same kit and used the directions I previously posted as a guideline and it worked out good for me!

The poly is GREAT! I put a lot of time into tearing down the entire rear suspension of the car, but it drives better than new. It is more of a time investment doing all the poly, the parts a only a couple hundred bucks. Count even begin to count the hors I spent in my driveway this summer getting everything installed.

• 1 month later...
To be truly cool, the FS5R30 needs a longshifter out of a pathfinder.

Oh in that case, maybe I can take the shifter out of my friend's Micra, because i can hit all 4 corners of what would be the 300zx's shift box, but I can do it while it's actually in gear.

:icon56: