HybridZ

78' 2+2 tranny into a '71 240 question

dwarlick

Yesterday I took the tranny out of my POS '78 2+2 and put it into my newly acquired '71 240. I did a quick search and i read all L motor trannies are compatible. So here I go. I had a little trouble getting the driveline off the 2+2 no big deal I got it. I dropped the tranny and remembered that the 2+2's had a bigger clutch so I took the pressure plate and clutch off and dropped it down and rolled it back out to the north 40. I then hoisted up the 240 pulled the old tranny and put them down side by side and noticed the shifters were different. I thought oh well they look pretty close. I then said to my buddy "I'm gonna swap the Clutch and pressure plate." He said naah the old ones still good lets just get it in there I said ok. I got up had a hell of a time with the shifter and after pulling booth upper and lower boots I got it in. We lowered it down and got the top buttoned up. I noticed the shifter was close to the front of the hole but it would go into gear. We then raised it back installed and bled the slave (which I had to go out to the north 40 and get off the donor). I then threw back in the driveline and dropped it off and started it up and threw it in reverse... Nothing no movement. What the heck did we do wrong. Even if the shifter is hitting before it will go into 1st and 3rd it should still move in 2nd, 4th and Rev. I came home ticked off and got on Hybridz to figure it out. I read until about 12:30am and figured the driveline wasn't going in all the way. I went to my friends shop today and pulled it off. Yea its engaging. So then I figure I has to be that the spline isn't locked into the old 240 clutch. Can anyone tell me if I need to put the clutch disk and pressure plate from the 2+2 into the 240? Or is there something else I'm missing.

You shouldn't have listened to your friend.

1) Pull your transmission back off.

2) Install the T/O collar off the 240 Tranny -OR- Install the matching clutch and pressure plate from the 280 to the 240 engine.

Your collar is the wrong size for the diaphragm you have in there.

Frankly, I would have kept it all '280Z' by changing the clutch cover and the clutch without changing the flywheel. They should be the same size (diameter). I don't believe that changed till the 280ZX.

Your friend screwed you.

As for the shifter, you have to alter the hole for it not to hit in 1,3,5 gears. Depending on the production date of your 71 this may or may not be a problem. Sounds like your shifter goes into all gears without hitting the tunnel sheetmetal, so I don't think you have the earlier hole position.

I think these are the questions you are asking, I'm slightly befuddles by yoru syntax and word usage and what it means exactly, but knowing the swap you did, I'm hitting the 99% issues that usually come up when people don't 'follow the rules' for matching components.

GOOD LUCK!

Sorry about the syntax, but I'm an Okie and when I get rambling my grammar diminishes significantly. You answered my question. Thanks Tony D. I do wonder since the shifter is so close, could I bend it a little while I have it off the motor? I'd rather not cut the hole because I'm going to be swapping another motor and trans in a couple of months.