HybridZ

oil pressure light on a 78?

This may be a stupid question but anyway here it goes...

I am trying to diagnose a hard starting problem with my stock 78 280 fuel system. Per the Atlantic Zcar EFI tech tips, the 78 should have a oil pressure light. Mine does not, at least I cannot find it. Where is it located? My car was manufactured in 9/77, the title and owners manual say 78.

• Administrators

Sorry, the S-30 Z did not come with an oil pressure “light”, only an oil pressure “gauge”.

You must be referring to the oil pressure sender which has switch in it for turning off the fuel in the event of serious crash, i.e. roll over.

This is what I thought. Then the often referenced text from the Atlantic Z-Car Club, Fuel Pump Circuit Information (http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuelpump/index.html )must be incorrect:

The fuel pump control for the 78 - 81 N/A.

When the engine is not running the oil pressure switch is closed and the transistor at the 'L' terminal of the alternator is "closed" and BOTH idiot lights for ALT and OIL are ON. When the key is turned to ON the idiot lights are on and the fuel pump is OFF. The fuel pump only "starts" when the key is turned to Start. These years used three relays to control the fuel pump. If the engine stops / stalls the loss of BOTH ALT and OIL signals simultaneously shuts off the fuel pump.

So is the 78 fuel pump circuit like this one or the earlier 75-77?

Thanks for you help.

Ross