HybridZ

$1500 Challenge Thread

Can anyone point me to the thread where the one fellow was talking about he and his buddy's $1500 budget challenge cars? I remember reading good info people had about brake/suspension upgrades that seemed like cost effective alternatives to what I'm finding at the zcarstore.com.

I've searched everywhere but I can't find the thread.

Thanks.

I see that you've been looking through the MSA catalog for brake and suspension upgrades. Nothing against MSA, they supply some good parts, but if you really want cost effective upgrades, and some knowledge to boot, take a look at these threads:

jmortensen's brake and suspension FAQs

Brake upgrade FAQ

Suspension Modification FAQ

auxilary's brake upgrade thread has some good info as well

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

Thanks x64v - I gotta say the finished build car looks closest to your blue ride you got there - complete with the louvers (louvers are just too period perfect, ya know?).

Where did you get those wheels?

I just checked those facts sections, good info on the brakes b/c my car is just a fun, mild street machine. No sense in spending more time or money than I have to on overkill.

Heh, thanks. Yeah, you don't see the louvers around too much anymore, but I'm so used to them I can't look at my car without them, it's just part of it.

The wheels are old American Racing wheels I believe, 14x7. Good luck finding them, I have no clue if they're in production still or not.

I think my car actually started out as your car is now. Kinda crappy condition, needed pretty much everything worked on, mine wasn't running though, at least you got that. I don't think I've put over $2000 in the whole thing, if you exclude the fuel injection and turbo parts, which weren't needed to get the car driving well.