HybridZ

knocking help!

Guest koji187

Guest koji187

My car is making a weird knocking noise, the valves or lifters I think.. When I warm up the car in the morning it knocks a bit, when warmed up it goes away, but sometimes may knock once in awhile

just wondering if there were some tips you guys could give me to help

thanks

There are distinct differences in the noise coming from your valve train versus other areas of the engine that would normally be described as knocking. Valve train 'clatter' is more often a tick or a light clatter, NOT a knock. Knocking is more often used to describe lower engine wear issues such as worn main bearings or, to a lesser degree, 'little ends', where the wrist pin joins the piston.

Knocking at the bottom end is caused when the connecting rod has actual movement in relation to the crank due to work bearings. This is most noticable at initial start-up. It again becomes noticable when the engine oil is warmed up to full operating temperature and the engine is at idle. The low oil pressure and thinner oil in this circumstance again allows the parts to 'collide'.

Short term solution is to go to a 20/W50 oil grade but you are merely delaying the inevitable, which is a rebuild of , as a minimum, the bottom end.

A worn input shaft bearing on the transmission can also cause a knocking sound. I have that situation right now. A simple test is to push the clutch in which stops it from spinning. If the noise goes away then your transmission is suspect.