HybridZ

240sx irs swap to 260z

I thought of this a long time ago but I thought it was far fetched. Then I saw that it's been done by alot of people. I really want upper and lower control arms in the rear of my s30 but the s13's and s14's rears look like a birds nests. Since when did irs become so complicated? I think I counted 4 seperate bars connecting the hub to the frame on 4 seperate axises(or is plural axi). It seems like if you were to replace all the rubber bushings in the arms with steel ones it wouldn't move at all because it depends on the flexing and elasticity of the rubber bushings. That makes me think those rears have a lot of slop and are unpredictable. Is it a good swap and nissan knew what they were doing or is there another option I should look into?

As always, it depends on what you're planning on doing with the car. If the IRS swap is being done as a fabrication exercise for street/autox/track car then the 240SX rear is fine. If you're going to do some sanctioned racing you need to check the rule book before cutting and welding.

For ultimate speed around a race track none of the 240SX IRS rear swaps are faster then a SCCA EP or ITS 240Z with the OEM srear struts, at least here on the West Coast.

Maybe i'm just too practical, But what's wrong with the original S30 rear suspension layout?

What are the main advantages of running the S13/4/Z32. etc. rear suspension? Heres what I see:

Large selection of differentials

Lots of aftermarket parts

5-lug option

beefier axles

Cons:

Heavy

Cost and time of fabrication

I agree with John, Keep it simple. Besides, there's TONS of ways to upgrade the rear suspension on the S30.