HybridZ

Nhra Cage Base Plates

I'm going to be building a NHRA cage for my 280z starting the 26th of December. I'm looking for ideas of how to fit the 6X6 base plates nicely. Any close up pictures would be appreciated.

I will post a lot of pictures I've seen around here and I'd like feedback of whats is a Good -> Better -> Best Way.

The only thing that concerns me on the cage bellow is the main hoop contacting its base plate at an angle. Is there any way to get around this?

Copy_of_2JZ_Z_016.jpg

Copy_of_2JZ_Z_018.jpg

2JZ_Z_056.jpg

Regards,

Justin

Option 1 for sure. The rocker where you'd be attaching to is much stronger than the floor. I originally had my hoop and down tubes attached ONLY to the rocker and not the floor, and ended up putting boxes under the tubes only to satisfy the potential nervous nelly tech inspector. I think it would have been absolutely fine the way it was.

Option 2 might allow you to weld the side of the tube to the rocker, but then the connection to the rocker is purely in shear and the compression loads are going mostly to the floor. The floor is weak. The rocker is much stronger.