HybridZ

stuck once agian one what to do blah

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a full 350 with a carb on it too and also a turbo 350trans all ready to go I have no doubt in my mind that they will work great! my problem... Emissions blah this is the first thing I should of went over before buying everything needed lol

for one you can't put an engine in a car thats older then the car so my first engine 78 block would not of worked at all lucky for me I found a fully built engine and sold that one off

so my new engine is a 84 so its newer then my 81 so this will work

now when you change engines in a car you need to pass the emissions test for the car that the engine "was" in so my car needs to run as clean as a 84 vette with FI my problem is my engine has nothing on it other then carbs and soon to be headers

is there anyways in hell I can pass this test with out problems? with the stock engine if it fails and I try to fix it 300bucks or more worth they will write up a waver to pass it if I have an engine not ment to be in the car if it does not pass you can not get a waver the car can stay on the street but once it comes time to redo my tags.... I can't do anything so....

I got all the info I could on this from calling around to dif maryland state places and so on the guy I talked to was GREAT help! I think maybe becuase he had a 240Z hehehe he loved it so he said call me if you have anymore questions left his name and # also he called me back from a message some one left so it was a free call on my half=)

maryland for once your MVA did a good job!

I could sell off my engine and trans and make money off of them pretty easy since both are in GREAT cond and I got a really really really good deal on both

then put a new fuel system on my L28T and new pistons and run some higher boost #s

oh I don't know and I need to know soon!

thanks for letting me $@$#% to ya

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Heck of a dilemma. I had a buddy w/a rebuild 350 in an 80Chevy Blazer; he couldnt get his mildly rebuilt 350 to pass emiss's either...we dont have a limit as to how many times one can attempt passing emiss's here in N.Tx. He tried multiple times/changing this changing that.

I finally talked him into purchasing a complete Ignition pkge from Jacobs; once he installed it & took it for inspection/their print out indicated that all emiss's where well below their required levels; he passed w/flying colors!

Some people dont like Jacobs...I dont know why-I prefer the variable multiple sparks required based upon the load of an engine which Jacobs offers....you dont always need a hot spark at idle where as you'ld need a good hot spark at high rpm when engine loads demand it.

Anyway...just FWI/Check them out-see what ya think.

You can find their number in any hotrod magazine in the back w/all the other adds.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Locutus

I would suggest trying to hook up with some of the FI components for a 84 vette, they aren't going to be that expensive if you go to a junk yard where you pull you own parts. If it is a midly modded 350 you should see about the same performance or maybe slightly better with the FI.

Guest Locutus

I would suggest trying to hook up with some of the FI components for a 84 vette, they aren't going to be that expensive if you go to a junk yard where you pull you own parts. If it is a midly modded 350 you should see about the same performance or maybe slightly better with the FI.

Guest Anonymous

so I need the intake man the exhaust man I need to redo the piping for headers to stock mans and then get all the emissions stuff like egr and so on and then make sure its all working right if not Im sure its a arm and a leg to buy from the dealer

hmmm what else would I need? wiring ECU AFM air intake I think it would be way to much to do way way to much

kinda like going from a N/A to a Turbo other then going in side the engine

this sucks

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff 280ZXT:

now when you change engines in a car you need to pass the emissions test for the car that the engine "was" in so my car needs to run as clean as a 84 vette with FI

Whoah! Let's not toss dough chasing a problem that might not exist. You have to pass sniffer/tailpipe tests/not inspection tests right? (ie. you don't need all '84's equipment visually??). If just tailpipe you don't have to 'run as clean as an 84'. You just have to run clean enough to pass '84 standards. Huge difference. My '80 ZX passes '80 standards with NO smog equipment at all. Have a good tuneup done on it with reference to tailpipe readings etc (ie. might not make it run good/but produce it's 'best' tailpipe emissions) and see how it compares to the spec's you have to meet. Even with my newer built setup I was able to detune it to pass emissions (passed by a LOT) and next day retune back to it's stomping levels. Manifolds/headers etc won't alter your emissions much. Many confuse an improved build with airbox/headers etc as a larger polluter, often not the case as increased power can yield increased efficiency given same cam etc. If it's a mild to medium 350hp or less build as long as your cam isn't a real narrow/odd lobe separation you should be able to meet the specs with carb tuning alone. Your $300 waver fee would easily cover a 1406 edelbrock carb and tuning kit which allow all ciruits independent and easy adjustment quickly and easily if your carb poses some problems. Qjets aren't as fast or easy to know what steps to take and I have no experience with Holleys.

Find out what you have to meet and local GOOD shops will know if that's an attainable level as well as some on this list. I have no cats/cannistor/EGR etc etc and I come in lower than our '86 standards my wifes' 86 camaro has to meet when I'm tuned for the test.

more q's feel free

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I suspect your laws are similiar to California laws, because the EPA uses a standard that is similiar. I could be completely wrong regarding the laws of your state, so take my advice with a grain of salt. In California an engine swap must:

1. Use an engine from a newer model vehicle.

2. Use an engine from a vehicle of the same class.

3. Maintain all emmissions equipment present on the donor vehicle.

They don't make you pass the standard for the newer engine, but if you performed a legal swap it wouldn't be a problem if you had to.

You won't be able use the waiver, because you have to fail the sniffer test twice. They won't let you take the sniffer test because you won't pass visual inspection!

The best way to do an engine swap on vehicles that get tangled in these smog laws is to buy a wrecked car w/ a good engine or buy the complete drivetrain (everything!) from a wrecker and put it all in.

GL.

Oltmann, Texas is not exactly like CA in terms of smog. In many counties there are very relaxed rules regarding smog equipment. Ross C brings up a very good point, that he may not need to pass the visual at all, only the sniffer, which I believe he can do if everything is tuned properly. The allowable smog limits soar above what most tuned motors run anyway. Just my $.02.

Jeff, you will also need an O2 sensor most likely of you put any of the 1984 stuff back on. Hopefully you wont have to if all you have to do is pass the sniffer...I wish you the best!

Guest Anonymous

I only need to pass the sniff test nothing else since its been on the road for 2 years as is with the L28T engine

they sometimes check for cats but not always

if the engine is going in my Z is not going to stay at 260-340BHP new heads are going on then new pistons rods and so on in the end I want 500-600BHP my end goal is POWER! so for the rest of my cars life in maryland atlest it needs to be tested every 2 years! so if it passes once then I mod the engine to the point of too much to pass Im @#$@#$ out of luck

as far as getting a waver $300 thats what the state says but um hehehe never mind on that one thats not a problem hehe

maybe the engine swap is not such a good idea becuase Im not going to put the stock FI back on Im sure the stock FI wont push more then 400BHP if even near that

I think I could get about 1G for my engine and trans both being in great cond engine having 0 miles and trans being rated GREAT from the pick and pull yard with a 4 month warranty so 1G is enough to.... hmmm I guess buy some pistons and start on my new turbo if Im going this way or I could just get it running great at 14PSI and enjoy the ride hmmm ohwell any other ideas?

Well, my first thought is that 500-600HP is quite a bit, you might want to try driving it with say 300-400HP first. I've got a feeling that at 600HP traction would be your biggest problem!

If you seriously mod the turbo and EFI on the existing L6 what makes you think you'll pass emissions any better with that setup? You may find yourself in the same boat with even less HP! Try heading over to a good shop or even a referee station in Maryland and find out EXACTLY what they expect. Lastly, if you really want that sort of "fun" perhaps consider a second older Z to do the swap and just enjoy the 84 as is....

Jacobs ignition - that's one of the first success stories I've heard about them! I actually watched a guy at the track buy one and install it back to back VS an MSD box - his car slowed like 3tenths! Some of their claims seem pretty incredible. Personally I like the newer digital boxes like the new ACCELL lineup - NOT designed by ACCELL BTW smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

the plan is to have a roll cage installed with new subframes maybe some more body work to hold the power and yes it will need very good tires! thats my plan in the long run right now 300-400BHP is what the goal is

in maryland if I fail with my 350 engine in the car they will not write me a waver I HAVE to pass or they will not renew the tags

if I have the L28 with 600+BHP spiting 4X as much crap out the tail pipe then whats listed it will fail if I spend 300 or more bucks on trying to fix the problem and fail again they will write me a waver for another 2 years thats how I passed 2 years ago since my car as a miss at idle it failed the test becuase of it so a 12pack later I had my waver lol =) but with the 350 they will not write one up

thats what the MVA people told me the guy even had a 240 and was all for doing it he told me some ways to get around it but in the end he said they would find out

Im thinking about just sticking with the L28 make it into a 3.1 and run 18-22PSI in the end I will be more happy but it will cost more in the end

no matter how far out my goals seem I love my Z and I know it could be 10-20-30K later the only way Im getting rid of this car is if it rust fully out

Jeff 280ZXT

Jeff, in MD, I'd never consider taking a post-1976 6 cylinder car and putting a V8 in it for just these reasons. I'd do the L28T up in the 280ZXT or find a 240, 260Z, or early 280Z and do the V8. I know which I'd prefer, but to each his own.

MD is a enviro-Nazi state, if anyone out of state is wondering. Stupid rules that don't really get the worst polluters (big trucks, factories, old junky cars) but harp on the newer than 76 cars for those tiny bits over that they might be emitting. The freaking enviro-Nazis are barking up all the wrong trees trying to make things greener.

Not as bad as NJ and other states where they have state congresspeople trying to enact junker laws that allow big polluting industrial companies to buy and junk older cars (even ones that run clean) to offset their pollution.

Off my soapbox, sorry.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited April 18, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Im 18 so still young as long as I can remember maryland has had the dyno test but its only used on I think 86 and up cars the older cars get the sniff test

from what I understand the dyno test is not as hard to pass

I would love to find a 240Z but my 280ZXT engine would go in it =) hehe the only problem... where can I find a some what rust free car? I've yet to see one its very rare to find a Z here thats not a ZX

anyone want a rebuild 84 vette engine? I also have a TH350 Trans that was rated in great cond with converter

both are going I guess =`(any offers?

engine is painted blue with performer intake and one up cam it was bored 30over I did pull the valve cover and oil pan to check and make sure the work was done and it was

so the engine is ready to go it also has a 4B carb on it pretty sure carter and exhaust mans

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/jeffiespage/honda/honda.html

=`(

ohwell atlest with the turbo I can still spin tires all the way down the road=)

but that added low end would be so great from the 350 I guess I will just need to buy tires that will let me start off at 5+PSI that should hold me back pretty easy