HybridZ

Glasspacks?

Guest Anonymous

Drew, how are the Ravin's for sound volume and tonal quality?

I like the sound of the Dynomax Super Turbo (Hemi's) on my car, but if the Ravin is similar in tone but a bit quieter, I'd be interested.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Jason

Dynomax is having a $25 rebate on some of their products including ultraflow mufflers between April and June. Looks like I'll be getting one!

Thanks Drew.

Glad I didn't coat the short pieces of pipe and mufflers. I'll probably make up another set of short pipes/bends/flanges to try a set of the 55s.

I see from their site http://www.goravin.com/home.html

that the 77s have a 22 inch case - I don't think I can fit that, as the Hemi Super Turbo is a 20 inch case, and that was tight. I'd probably go with the 16" 55s.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Drew, I saw the ads for Ravins, but thought that maybe they were possibly trendy--just look at how many mufflers there are out there, and more keep coming! How would you rate them in terms of sound compared to Flowmaster? I want something "quiet" and am not sold on Flows for that reason.

Guest Drewz

The 77 series are quieter and the 55 series would be around the neighborhood of the fol's if anything a bit quieter. There are a lot of trendy mufflers out but these are very well built and have received some attention from the larger magazines. Smooth tone at an idle and a very broad and even power band is what they are becoming known for. These guys have spent a lot of money on technology and my opinion is that these look good as well as sound really deep. Love that big block tone. MMMMM!

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

Guest Drewz

There are 3 models of Ravin's to choose from the lines avail. are the R33 R55 and R77. The R77 is an SUV style with nice tone the 55 series are the really sweet ones and finally the 33 series are pretty loud, very nice tone though. I like the design and structure a lot. The 55 series is what you probably will want but the 33's sound almost like an open pipe all out system. I have instaled dozens including a set on a solid cammed 69 big block Camaro with 3 inch duals. Can you say half a days work! WHEW!

The only problem with the dynomaxless's line (just an inside joke there) is that they have not made any large technological jumps in the past several years. I used to use nothing else but Dynomax until I did some research in the past few years. They need to bring out something really new or become a "good ole standby". Its hard to keep on the top of the heap like they have since eveyone is always nipping at their heels. IMHO'S!!!!

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

Hmm... The Ravin mufflers look interesting. I've heard good things about Spin Tech mufflers, as well (http://www.spintechmufflers.com/) One of my friends has them on his Dodge R/T truck, and they seem to have a sound somewhere between the lumpy sound of a glasspack and the hollow sound of a Flowmaster. Most intriguing.

As far as performance goes, I'll gladly trade a few top-end HP for better sound characteristics. I'll be running the engine hard for about .05% of its life, but I'll have to listen to it whenever the darned thing's turned on.

I want something quiet on the freeway, burbly at idle, and sounding like a 5-gallon bucket o' whoop-ass when I floor it at 5,000 RPM. Kinda like a 928.

Oh, did I mention that I only want to pay $99? smile.gif

Scott Ferguson

"the Original Cheap Bastard "