HybridZ

RB25 problems

TurboSouthAfrican

My somewhat daily driver RB25 240SX started to, what I like to call a stutter or miss about a month ago. First only did it now and again, always seemed to start when car is fully warmed up, but has started to do it more often, even at idle you can hear small hick up in the rpm. My first thought was that it was an ignition problem of some kind. I pulled the coil packs and checked the plugs, all was fine, so I thought must be one of the coil packs. I replaced all coil packs from my other car and still does not cure the problem???? Could this be an igniter problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Merry Christmas to everyone by the way. Take care

Larry

heard this problem so many times on the SAU forums.

Find someone who will lend you a coil plug, and swap from coil to coil, seeing if the idle persists.

if it does, chances are the boot on the one that's operating sporadically is cracked or weathered and allowing the spark to arch somewhere else or is causing some bad RF freq in beyond the boots.

Word has it that if you take some flexible and clear "diamond-hardness" (anyone ever see a flexible diamond :icon56:?) nail-polish and paint the most weathered areas of the boot, or if you take some RTV silicone and smear it over the affected area, you will make it work for a couple of months until the weather changes and ill effects present themselves again.

some people go with the SuperDI blue coil packs, but they've been tested and shown to not produce a better spark, and in some cases worse. A good alternative is a waste-spark buick coil pack as outlined in someone elses thread here. That would produce a hotter and better spark than the standard nissan coils and would be easy to purchase as well as fit, because you could mount it on the firewall and use a set of generic magnecore 8mm plug wires or something.

I think it could be the igniter, are RB26 and RB25 igniter's interchangeable, I would think so, if they use the same coil packs right? Thanks again for the input.

Larry

No problem.

the plugs (connectors) are different on the RB25's than they are on the RB26.

And I think you can use a Z32 ignitor if you have to. Boozt3d wrote a DIY thread that should get you up and running using the Z32 ignitor =).

Raff