HybridZ

Supercharger Powerdyne 5.3

zgeezer

I need some advice and straight talk. My swap is a 5.3 into a '71 Z. The design parameters are to: 1. Look stock on the outside, 2. to be a quiet comfortable daily driver and long distance cruiser, 3. performance 105 mph & low 13 in the 1/4. The 5.3 is stock with the following: 1. Sanderson's block hugger headers for the LS1 swap; 2. A 2002 Z06 cam, 7.424 aftermarket pushrods, and yellow z06 springs.

I have the stock GM 4speed OD electronic automatic transmission and 3.36 ring and pinion.

I am shopping superchargers. I've just about decided, from different magazine articles rating different superchargers, that I will use a belt driven centrifugal, rather than a Magnusen (sp?) or such. Much of that decision is based upon $$$. I have seen powerdynes on Mustangs and they are quiet and appear to be easy to install.

I recognize that the Powerdyne is limited to low boost (4-6-9#), but are they reliable in this application. I don't "need" 15# boost, but I do neet quiet and reliable.

What is the score on Powerdyne? I have a line on the 9# version, belt drive, off a late Silverado (should fit my lm7) for $1500.00.

Help me decide how to spend my xmas bonus.

g

Thanks

Honestly, for your performance goals, your current motor will get you where you want to be; however, I don't think that 3.36 rear end will suffice. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to an r200 (lsd or open) and some cv axles to handle the torque of that motor. Btw, I think that the combo you have might actually net you better performance than you're looking for. Remember, when it's all said and done you're still going to be a few hundred pounds shy of 3000.

Honestly, for your performance goals, your current motor will get you where you want to be; however, I don't think that 3.36 rear end will suffice. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to an r200 (lsd or open) and some cv axles to handle the torque of that motor. Btw, I think that the combo you have might actually net you better performance than you're looking for. Remember, when it's all said and done you're still going to be a few hundred pounds shy of 3000.

The rear end is R200 with clutch lsd and CV joints using MM's cv adaptors and 280 stub axles.

Any insight as to reliability of the Powerdyne unit?

g