HybridZ

Clutch master / slave cylinders

Azdyl05

Hello,

I've been procrastinating on this for 6+ months as I've been saving to do my V8 conversion, but I'm sick of not being able to drive my Z.

I have a '71 240 that either the clutch master or slave cylinder has gone out on. Is there a simple way of telling which one of them is bad. I'd rather not replace both if one of them still has some life to it since this will just be a temporary fix.

Thanks!

Dylan

In a perfect world, you'd replace them both. But if you're on a budget, take either one off and check the rubber seals and cylinder bore for pitting. Pop in a new seal kit and/or hone the cylinder if not badly pitted. Next, do the same with the the other. Then, start saving money to replace them both :o)

You might just try bleeding the system and check for leaks. If the slave is leaking around the seals you will get fluid around the piston. The master may be leaking inside the cylinder, and may leak back inside the car at the fire wall. But, again, its really not very spendy to just change them both out if you want to drive your car. Good luck,

Mike

You might just try bleeding the system and check for leaks. If the slave is leaking around the seals you will get fluid around the piston. The master may be leaking inside the cylinder, and may leak back inside the car at the fire wall. But, again, its really not very spendy to just change them both out if you want to drive your car. Good luck,

Mike

Actually, it's been a while since I sat in the car, so I had forgotten about it until your comment about the firewall. I do remember seeing some fluid around where the firewall grommet is. Thanks for the reminder!

I'll probably just start with the master, and if that doesn't work, then I'll do the slave as well. Like both of you said, it's not that spendy.

Thanks again