HybridZ

RB Parts Tip... (read if you need new parts)

Careless

Hey guys, I've just noticed something, perhaps its not anything new to most of you... on the side of the RB head, 25 and 26, exhaust side, just behind the cam cover, over the 1st exhaust port from the front of the engine, there is a casting.

on RB26's from R32 to 33, I believe it is a "05U"

can someone confirm that their RB25 head has a "42L" ?

this would confirm that most part numbers can be bought without knowing the actual part number itself, but by knowing the pre-face number for which section it falls under. A break down of parts numbers from nissan (simple one, anyway) is as follows:

XXXXX-05U00 = RB26 parts - both late R32 and R33 parts

XXXXX-42L00 = RB25 parts

as an example, typing in "main bearing" at courtesy parts shows me a preface number 12207.

Looking in the ACL and Kings Bearings cross reference guides, I come across a 12207-05U00 being an RB26 part, and the 12207-42L00 being a RB25 part.

I noticed because of the engine for sale in the thread below, there was an "05U" casted onto the side of the head, and it reminded me of most of the part numbers I went through when putting together my mass-parts collection for refreshing my block (which I still have to take pictures of for you guys).

I'm guessing at the 42L part, but I'm 99.9% sure it's on the RB25 heads somewhere, or perhaps an RB26 head somewhere if i'm mistaken, but I know that's a number indeed =)

So if Nissan is giving you a hard time, ask them for a part-number from a Z31 or Z32, and then switch the suffix number for your specific number that you know you have.

Then pay upfront, or they won't order it for you :mrgreen:

What I like to do is ask them if they can get a Z32 part, and see if they can turn the screen around so you can see the part on-screen, and then whilst the screen is in both your views (yours and the parts rep.), you ask him to change the numbers at the end.

This way, you can see what parts show, and you can tell if he or she is lying when they say "I can't get that part" because the "Availability" will be shown in either a "yes/no", and indication of "weeks", or a "quantity".

:flamedevi

This works for SOME parts, not all... which is obvious.

in most cases, if there were 3 heads, all which use say.... the same timing belt, the part number would be that of the first revision, which would or would not change depending on whatever the hell nissan likes to do to their parts numbering system.

If you REALLY need a part, this is not a bad way of finding if it's available to you, but always check another source if you're gonna plonk down some dough.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any update on the casting number of the RB blocks and heads?

I know the standard RB26 block and head have the 05U casting.

So here is what I have found out

RB26 stock = 05U on head, 05U on block

RB25DE (non VVT ie R32) = 75T on head, 75T on block

I also have a RB25 block that has 08U casting on it - so any others?

i can check my RB30 block. Doubt part numbers will be attainable though, as they are most likely referenced to RB25 blocks anyways, so using the RB30 digit code may not yield anything.
RB30 have a casting mark of RB30 nice :)

This might make sense...

how about referring to stock parts as the number designation that they were pulled from.

Like P90a and E88, and N42.

I'm surprised we never refer to things like this, it's obvious they are the casting blocks used at the time of production. Differences in the numbers may tell the same stories as those for L28's.

This might make sense...

how about referring to stock parts as the number designation that they were pulled from.

Like P90a and E88, and N42.

I'm surprised we never refer to things like this, it's obvious they are the casting blocks used at the time of production. Differences in the numbers may tell the same stories as those for L28's.

That is what I was looking for the different casting numbers like P30 = L24 or L26, N42 = early L28, F54 = later L28. So far we know the following about RB casting numbers (there is not much info on this casting numbers on the web so I was looking for what you have found)

RB26DETT = 05U = stock both on the head and block R32? Any others?

RB25DE = 75T I have found this on RB32 RB25DE both head and block and above from a RB25DET R33

RB25??? = 08U = not sure yet still researching but it might be a RB25DE NEO block (I have this on a block that I have)

Any others? It would be good to have a list.

Is it me or is HybridZ the only forum that likes to get this technical with these designations? I mean, every other forum is like "the early" vs. "the later" and "the middle" and the "early middle", and "super late middle early" castings, or my favourite RB block is the super obscure "when line-worker 39 was out for a herniated disc injury , circa mid-1996" blocks.

like wtf.

HybridZ r0x! :D

I'm sure this will lend to some important details that will be looked upon a couple of years from now because up until now I have not yet seen blocks and heads designated as such. I'm not yet sure why, but the statement is still true.

Anyway, I can make a list of every single one, possibly even N1 and Z2 versions if I have time after my trans tear down this weekend.