HybridZ

wider wheels

hello,knowing the set up of the s30 wheels from stock being 6 to 6.5" wide and 14 inch.I see many guys running larger wheels from 16's to 18's from all the 7" wide to 12", my question could the suspension take these wheels,or would you have to changed ball joint bearing etc more often.Now just say you are running 17*9 in the front and 17*11 rear and with a very low offset,say 3.5 backspace what kind of stress would that be on your suspension and how would you be able to alleviate this.thanks

I don't think some of you specific questions have ever been addressed, but they have been tossed around on this forum in the past. Nobody (none that I know of) has ever done a quantitative study on the bearing load increases for high wheel offset. As a general observation, I've never seen a post that said, "My bearing failure was caused by...wheel...offset by..." I am hopefull that the amount of extra offset I have with my wheels is somewhat compensated for with the increased camber, thus shifting the contact patch inboard a small amount.

I would say the extra stress caused by the larger rim/tire combos are minimal. i mean.. any change in suspension, which wheels and tires effect, would effect the rest of the system, but at worst id think if your joints were already worn, it may wear them out a little quicker, but most of the guys here beat the snot out of these cars.. so it may be a little hard to tell if its just how hard we drive them vs. change in wheel sizes.