HybridZ

Applying Monzter's ideas to other manifolds...

TimZ

Monzter's intake plenum design has had me thinking for a while now, and I'm wondering if the diffuser plenum idea could be applied to some of the other existing custom manifolds out there.

Specifically, I'm wondering if a similar effect could be had by internally baffling an existing manifold. Ron Tyler has a nice looking manifold design that Monzter also refrenced, and his manifold is pretty similar to mine and a few others I've seen.

Here's what I'm thinking, using Ron's manifold as an example, since he had a nice plan view pic to work from:

RonTylerPlenum.jpg

If a baffle was added along the red line that left say a half inch slit along the top and the bottom of the baffle, would that help to even out the airflow distribution between the cylinders without impeding the airflow?

Would a flat baffle work best, or would it help for it to be rounded a bit?

Hopefully Ron doesn't mind me using his manifold as an example, but it seemed like a logical starting point since there were already some cad drawings and cfd analysis existing on it...

In my knockoff plenum, I used a simple flat deflector that was bent over at the bottom with holes is it to further 'diffuse' and 'break up' the airflow. It came into the plenum, hit the diffuser and had to go down towards the bottom of the plenum, through the holes before entering the bigger area.

In retrospect, my design thoughts on my knockoff almost exactly replicated what SK did in their turbo plenums, which is similar to what you propose Tim. SK's plenum had a vertical plate diffuser plate which the incoming air hit, then was forced around all four sides to enter the larger portion of the plenum to the rear of the box nearer the ITB inlets.

SK's is a 2mm thick plate of steel bolted to standoffs cast into the rear of the plenum. Mine was bolted to the roof of the plenum. Both had removable fronts.

My 'holes' were 2X the area of the pipe feeding the plenum IF I recall correctly (this was 1985/86 after all...)