HybridZ

f54 block e88 head

drowz

I bought a 81 280zx turbo, hoping to get the block and p90 head. Turns out that someone messed with the engine, they shaved the head and did a poor job shimming the cam towers. Now the cam towers are horribly grooved, and the head is bent. I couldn't even turn it at all with all of the rocker arms off.

So now on to my real question. If I put on the e88 head from my 73 240z onto the f54 block, would I likely see any catastrophic problems? Also, any idea what kind of compression I could see with flat top pistons and a 1mm head gasket?

1mm head gasket and flattops would probably net you somewhere around 11:1 with an E88. That's not ideal for a turbo application to say the least and extremely difficult to tune on pump gas naturally aspirated. I would find another head or attempt to fix that one if you can. Maybe replace the cam towers. Get block off plates from MSA for the oil bar holes and they should work just like the regular cam towers.

• 1 month later...
so i played with that... so if i run a f54 block with an e88 head and flat top pistons with 1mm metal gasket id be at 10:1 which is what i want. or is my method all sorts of f'd?

I just finished my 280 F54 engine, so I still have all the head gasket specs for a 1mm FelPro saved in my compression calulator :D Anywho, with said head gasket, if you're running the flat top 280 pistons, which actually pop up above the deck .020, and an uncut E88 head at 44.7 CC combustion chambers, you will be running at about 10.6:1 compression. If you use the dished turbo pistons, you'll be at aroun 8.4:1 or in that neighborhood.