HybridZ

another power steering option!

Thanks for the measurement.

My main worry is bump steer. The theory being that if you hit a bump and the nose travels up or down the geometry of the steering changes…ether toe in or out. This might even be severe at high speed. The inner assembly should line up with the inner control arm pivots causing the wheels to be parallel.

I asked Terry to check his ford unit (in the cold!) and he came up with a distance of about 23†. This is two & 1/4 inches shorter than stock. The Miata is even closer to stock specification at an inch and change over size. I wonder of the rack could be shortened....

Carry on please, fastzcars I think you’re on to something. …:::Glenn

I did a little research into getting one, and the guy told me that the model year 90-95 are the same, then '96 and '97 are both different. Can I get a confirmation on this?

BTW, what is the distance between the Stock 280Z rack mounts? My car is in storage.

Hi TomoHawk. your right. when I bought rack, the guy at the counter checked in a reference manuel that did say 90 thru 95 racks wre the same. I'm not sure of the 96-97 differnces?The distance of the stock Z mounts are 10 1/4 inches. The distances of the mounts for the Miata was 16 inches, but the passenger side mount can be moved inward to match the Z mount. Does anyone have a spare crossmember that I can purchase locally? I went to 2 pick a parts and no Z's in either of them? Only 280zx and 300z.

Can you describe the size of the rack (diameter?) I'm interested in knowing if the stock Datsun bushings will work and if there is enough meat to make a cut to 'key' the bushings to the rack so it doesn't slip.

Otherwise, what is there to keep the rack from slipping sideways?

Hi Tomohawk. The Miata rack is about 1/2 inch thicker, The driver side mount has a fat bottom forming a "D" shape. That's whats keeping it's from rotating. If you go to my yahoo page , Look at the picture of the miata rack trial fit. On the floor in the back ground you'll notice a rubber bushing that look's like a sway bar bushing. It's not. It's the passenger side rubber isolator from the miata. I hopr that answer's your question?

• 2 months later...

I'm baaaaaaaccckk!... :)

About ready to do some major stuff, like the power steering, so..

How did/does the Miata rack go? Did you getit to fit in? How major were the changes to the rack mounts?

Is the RX-7 rack a better choice?

Hi Tomohawk. I hav'nt been working on my car much. But the I did take out the crossmember to modify it . Ill take some pictures this weekend and post on my yahoo web page.Give me till wensday. as I don't have a digital camera. later.

Are you still working on the miata system? I have a buddy that can get me the miata parts. I just need to know if it'll work. The mustang rack is sitting on the garage floor, doing nothing and I don't think the JY will take it back.

Tomohawk. Yes I'm still trying to work with the miata rack, Not a bolt in swap. I Had to weld a flat 1.5 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick steel stock to make a flat mounting points for the rack. I guess if there's a will, there'e a way. You know the mustang rack install is well documented. And if you already have one ,use it. I wish I was ready to install the rack, I just have too many commitments right now to work on my car. Darn, all painted and ready to put back together. Good luck on your project.

i've been looking into the power steering idea also. i was at the junkyard the other day and came across a 91 Subaru Legacy L and took the rack from it. it looks like this rack and the miata rack are about the same size but the subaru unit may have a bit more clearance (meaning less modification) around the engine mount on the cross member. i did some calculations and this rack has 15/16" more travel in it than my 260z unit and the lock to lock rotations were 3.25 compared to mine which is 2.7. this means that the 260z unit has a 18:1 ratio and the subaru unit has a 17.9:1 ratio which is perfect. with the rack being 15/16" longer i think i'll have to use spacers to shorten it to match the stock unit but with it shortened the lock to lock rotations will be exactly the same as stock. that being said, there is still the matter of rerouting the hydraulic lines but that shouldn't be hard. i'll take some pics when i can.

• 1 month later...

I just weighed mine, and it was 2670 lbs. overall. Will the Miata or the RX-7 rack work with that, or is the front wheel weight what matters more? I have the Mustang rack, but if the Miata or RX-7 rack will fit on without modifying the crossmember, I would prefer ther latter.

Did you remove the engine to get the crossmember out?

Thx.

Hi tomohawk. I just added more pictures on my yahoo website. The rack in installed on the car. The motor is out so it was easy to change out the crossmember. Also, the the crossmember does need to be modified. the mounting ears had to be cut and lengthed, and a flat piece of steel welded in. the pictures will show you the differences between the stock and the modified crossmember. Hope this hels.