HybridZ

Mallory Unilite Install Question

Corzette

Mallory experts chime in please. Ok I got the Unilite and want to install it. I set the engine to TDC and the old distributor rotor points to the number 1 plug wire. I make a mark on the engine below the distributor to show where the original rotor position is before taking out dizzy. There is no way to put the distributor in wrong since there is no gear and it is keyed to go one way only (good stuff). Ok now I pull the old dizzy out and put in the Unilite. Only thing is the rotor now points some totally different position. Cant change that since its predetermined. So I put on the cap on the unilite. Now...for the plug wires...do I place the number one plug wire on the Unilite cap by the previous mark I made from the old cap, OR do I place the number one plug wire where the rotor is now pointing on the UNilite distributor? Why in the hell does Unilite have to change the rotor position anyways? It would be even easier if was the same but noooooooo. So hope someone can help me out....gonna swap it in and an MSD 6a this weekend so the wiring will be simple.... Thanks in advance.

Terry

Since the motor is set with the #1 cylinder at TDC on the ignition stroke (that is what I surmise with your previous post), then the number one plug wire must be placed on the cap where the new rotor is currently pointed (or the closest one). Then just turn the whole distributor a small amount to get the final tuning.

Since the motor is set with the #1 cylinder at TDC on the ignition stroke (that is what I surmise with your previous post), then the number one plug wire must be placed on the cap where the new rotor is currently pointed (or the closest one). Then just turn the whole distributor a small amount to get the final tuning.

Thats what I would think. Thanks Terry. Since there is no gear to key in I bet the install applies to all the other cars but ours is unique so.... I also shot this question off to TEch Help too.

Terry

• 2 months later...

This post is a little old but I will try to answer your question anyway.

Since the dist can only go in one way you have to drop the oil pump and retime the spindle in fact you can put #1 in any postion you want.