HybridZ

Tie rods hate me...

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

Ok, I put the pitch fork thing between the rod and the knuckle and I am hitting the damn thing but the fork just keep sliding out or what not...Any suggestions? And I stripped the nut really bad on the driver side trying to unscrew it. Which way does the thing exactly turn? left loosy? Or righty tighty? I got the left side nut unscrewed up "righty-tighty"...

Man, you need to check on your own posts!

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002056

Mark says the driver's side is reverse threaded. If any of the thread is exposed, then look at it carefully to determine which way it needs to turn.

If you can't get the nut off, then you have no hope of seperating the tie rod. If it won't thread off, use a nut splitter or hot wrench (torch) to get it off (don't destroy your knuckle).

Then get the right sized fork. The inner part of the U should be just wider than the tapered bolt the nut goes onto. The fork goes between the tie rod end and the knuckle (where the rubber boot is) with the U of the fork straddling the bolt. It should go about half way down the U then stop. If it hits the bottom of the U then the fork is too wide. Then wack the end of the fork. This will wedge the tapered part of the fork between the knuckle and the rod end pushing them apart.

Vibration is the key. Rapping on the knuckle while trying to force the two parts apart will help vibrate the press fit. Heating the knuckle part will make it expand and help the process.

But none of this will do any good if you can't get the nut off first.