HybridZ

World's Quickest n/a Impala SS

When BLKMGK was in Orlando he saw a local tricked-out Impala SS that was punched out to 396ci. At the track last Wed the car was announced as the world's quickest n/a Impala SS (no power adders) having a best of 12.08 @ 114+. I do not know what that battelship weighs but I am guessing way over 4000lbs w/driver which puts it around 490RWHP. This is a daily driver.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

I saw a nice one on TNN motorsports television this weekend. It had a souped up LT5 and it was a real screamer as well..

The show was about how Tim"tool time"Allen

is working with performance gurus to have their own line of customized vehicles.

the TAD line is to compete with the likes of AMG and some of the other aftermarket performance packages..

Myron

I love the look of the Impalla SS's (the RWD ones that is). I remeber when I worked as an insurance claims adjuster for PDP when those cars came out; there wasnt a week gone by that didnt included at least paying for 2 of those cars. They were always being stolen off of dealers lots-if not the cars their tires/wheels.

I wish GM would've kept making those cars. So much room in the pass.compartments, an SBC for dependability & performance; the huge wheels/tires w/great body lines; as usual-GM quits making something that the public cant get enough of!

If I could afford one I'ld deffinately have chose one over a Lexus or Infinity any day! IMO-the luxury Lexus/Infinity's arent even in the same class.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited April 16, 2001).]

You really have to wonder why cars such as that are not produced. The whole monster/sleeper idea is a great one... I guess it just doesn't sell that well.

I suppose if you wanted a sedan now with a mean punch, the M5 would do. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

I remember when I first started college in '94 I saw my first Impala SS. I said to myself: "They finally got that car right. In fact, I'm going to buy one when I graduate!" Unfortunately, The General stopped production in 1996. That didn't stop me however, and ever since July on 1998 (yeah, I was on the five year plan at school) I have been the owner of a '96 black model. Granted, it's not the fastest car out there... but I can haul around myself and four of my buddies and still look (relatively) good while doing it. A lot of people were said to see the SS go, but it all came down to numbers. The bottom line was that GM was selling ONLY the Impala SS and nothing else. Ask yourself when the last time was, that you saw a normal 94 - 96 Caprice? Except for the few remaining police cruisers, there probably hasn't been too many. The SS package was a great idea, but came about 5 years too late. Typical GM launch timing rolleyes.gif

So, it seems that I'm only about 2 seconds off the mark for the fastest SS. Oh well, I'll concentrate on my Z first. After that, I might start playing the Impala a little more (not to say that I haven't already started biggrin.gif ) People often forget that these cars have the heart of an F-Body. And even at a bulky 4200 lbs, it's really only about 600 - 700 lbs heavier than it's little brother. Something to ponder.

Kevin, Some Lexus 400 was trying to cut me off while merging onto the freeway last week while I was driving the SS. Needless to say, I didn't stand for any of that biggrin.gif

-Andy

[This message has been edited by Andrew Bayley (edited April 17, 2001).]

The Impala SS was/is one heck of a cool car Andy, and I'm envious that you got one! Around here, they're still selling for near-new prices. It's one of the very few American sedans I'd ever consider owning.

As to why they discontinued this most interesting American car, didn't Chevrolet cease production of frame-on construction passenger cars in 1997, and in so doing, kill the platform for the SS? In any case, I don't think the SS cut significantly into the Caprice's market. The demographics of the two buyers were radically different.

(from an enthusiast site..)

Caprice Classic:

Medan age is 67 years

Median income is $35,000 annually

63 percent of buyers are male

75 percent are retired.

Impala SS:

Medan age is 40-60 years

Median income is $60,000 annually

80 percent of buyers are male

50 percent are retired.

The SS was (generally) bought by a younger, wealthier client than the Caprice. I guess if you're old and wealthy and want to spend $30,000 on a car, you spend it on a Cadillac, not a souped-up Caprice.

Just a guess...

Scott Ferguson

We've got one of these beasts too - it's a blast. GM did make some mistakes with it like using crappy carpet (!) but it's a decent car. I expect ours will get Cadillac carpet here soon smile.gif They did indeed kill the line making these cars, they did it to produce trucks and SUVs I believe. They do weigh a bit more than an F-Body and are down about 40HP but they run on regular gas just fine! The LT1-Edit software works onthem too - a great candidate for a Z swap would be a Caprice of those years IMO. Just not sure the 4LE trans would be an easy swap...

Actually the General scrapped the Impala

in order to make more trucks. I have seen that Ford has a special edition crown vic

that is all black with the 4.6 modular motor

sporting over 300hp and 350ftlb torque. I am not much of a Ford man, but the car looks

damn good and it runs strong too.... That

or a Ford Lightning would be a fun vehicle

to drive...

Myron

I was able to "flog" a proptotype Marauder a few years back.

...felt like an Impala. icon_rolleyes.gif

It had the 4.6 SOHC with an Eaton type Supercharger that they are using on the new lightnings. It was quick, but not fast. Of course, I had to line it up against my Impala and see how the Marauder would compare. I had about a car and a half on the Marauder by 60. Also, the Chevy felt much bigger on the inside. Rumour has it that they are try to put the 32V DOHC Navigator based motor in it. We shall see, they've been talking about this car for years now.

-Andy

-A.K.A. He who is not afraid to race anyone (except maybe a cop)

[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew Bayley ]