HybridZ

Painting Q's: Rear Slats and hood vents

PhilbertZ

Hey everyone - I love this site already - lots of knowledge here and good attitudes all around :)

I just acquired a 1980 280 ZX in good condition - it's got the usual 28 year old marks of a car its age but for the most part is in great shape.

The one area I can see improving on most quickly and easily in the cosmetic department is the black that's faded on the rear slats and the hood vents.

The hood vents are actually not in bad shape at all - just not "dark black" anymore. The slats in the back are borderline bare metal - see photo below.

PICT0201.jpg

I don't have a paint shop or a huge garage so I will likely be using canister over the counter aerosol spray to touhc up these parts.

What have you guys found to be the most effective (and longest lasting) black touch up method for the rear slats? Do you use a simple flat black like rust oleum for the BBQ grill, or do you use a primer, followed by several layers of black? I would imagine the "OEM" color is flat black (not gloss) for the rear slats but could be wrong.

I likely won't tackle this till it gets warmer and dryer here, but wanted to reach out and see what has worked and hasn't - if you have pics of before and after, please post.

Thanks guys!

Take a look for aviation paint.I used some stuff a couple years ago that alot of people use for painting guns,the stuff is the best flat black puff can paint ever(though im sure the other colors are sweet too).It leaves a perfect finish that doesnt look "puff canned" and it is super durable and fade resistant.I'll try to find it.