HybridZ

Anti-Submarine(ing) and You

mario_82_ZXT

Ok, all this talk about anti-submarine belts in race harnesses in seats has me starting to pull out my hair.

From what I have seen online, the 6 point is the new way to go. 5 point is still OK, 4 point is mostly for autocross, not really road racing.

Most racing seats that I've seen have the hole for the sub belt way too far forward. Other seats made for the 6 point belts seem to have them in a better position but cost a large amount of money.

Putting the 6 point sub belts through a center 5 point center hole in a seat negates the advantages of a 6 point harness. Simpson Racing recommends that the 6 point sub belts be 8-10 inches apart (this will come into play later).

Another way that I've seen to install 6 point harness is to run the sub belts through the side of the seat and anchor them with the lap belts. People claim that this feels like an adequate compromise between the 2 but I see no mention of it anywhere on harness install instructions (where they say do's and don'ts).

Is this an adequate compromise? My car will see the occasional (HP)DEs and I need something that I won't get flack for at the track. I recently got a deal on a nice Recaro racing seat but it doesn't have the provisions for either the 5 or 6 point sub belts.

How have you guys dealt with the anti-submarine belts? Do you think I'll be fine with routing the 6 point sub belts through the sides?

Thanks,

Mario

Do you think I'll be fine with routing the 6 point sub belts through the sides?

I run a five point setup but based on what I've read you should be fine routing them that way. Here is a lengthy discussion from the Corner Carvers site discussing six point harnesses. Click here.

Mario: If you read the SCCA GCRs, they actually describe using the 6 point attached to the lap harness points as acceptable. You sit on top of the sub belts. That is how mine are in my car and I can tell you, when you step hard on the brakes and your body weight shifts foward, you can feel that you're harnessed in, almost like a parachute harness or something.