HybridZ

TRANS AND GEARS

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How tall can you go in the rear end .I just got a 200 rear end for my conversion, the question is can it be geared tall enough to make a th350 trans work for a street application? I know that stock gearing is to low for freeway use with the 350,and a 700r is so expensive to get a nice one, just kickin around the possibilities. anybody got a clue?

Clues:

If it's a 3.545:1 or even a 3.7:1 or 3.9:1,

going to the 3.36:1 gears (which are still available, I believe) will only get you a 100 to a 3-400 rpm drop in top 1:1 gear with 25 inch tires. Do the math and you'll see what I mean. If I get a chance after returning from a business trip Friday, I'll post a URL for my spreadsheet, but there are plenty of web tools for this around (don't have any URL's handy right now). BTW, these diffs are not easy to set up for a number of reasons, so just keeping the R&P that's in the one you have is about the only viable way to go, unless you want to send it to Jim Cook racing and have Jason go through it for you. Big bucks for that though, like $500 for labor I think. And you need to start with a new R&P, about $500 again. Not worth it in my book.

A 3.15:1 gear set was the lowest ever made and they are NLA.

If you're really worried about lowering the rpm at cruising speed about the only way to go is an overdrive tranny. Sorry, but I have to agree with JTR on this one.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Paul,, I kinda thought that would be the case, but I wanted to explore all options since there so many knowledgable fellers on this site, guess the 700r is back on the drawing board,,again thanks for the input. Tony