HybridZ

okay guys i need some help with my turbo swap!!

DrEaM

i have a 1976 280z and an 81 280zxt that i swaped in... i posted previously about my fuel pump issue but i ended up figureing that out anyways so i guess thats no big deal anymore.. but now i'm wondering what to do with my air flow meter..

the way everything is set up, using the stock 280zx piping, it hits my radiator and i'm not sure if i should just cut and splice new wire to make it longer so i can locate it where my old fresh air filter used to be located or could i somehow get rid of it for a better setup..

also there are like three vacuum lines not to mension all of the other ones off of the intake manifold that somehow got disconnected during the transfer and i have no clue to where they should go.. the car actually runs better with a few of them just disconnected?!! anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.. i'm mainly wondering how you guys routed your intake

I mounted my AFM in front of the rad like you are suggesting. Just lengthen the wires and mount it sideways. This way you can have your filter up front for cooler air as well. Funny how I did mine, I really lucked out. My buddy had a n/a 85 300zx parts car. I noticed the plastic air intake was 3" and just about the right dimensions/shape to make a cold air intake on my 76turbo Z! It worked like a charm.. just used the stock rubber boot from the turbo, into the 300zx air intake, then the AFM then the filter. If you can't find that piece, you can also use some 3" mandrel bent pipe.

I cut the stock rubber tubing in about half and bolted the AFM to the side of the engine bay (with about a 1.5" spacer) just infront of the shock tower. Then I used a 90degree rubber piece I found in the local j/y to mount a cone type air filter. Doesn't get a tonne of cold air from the front of the car but it worked well for me. + I didn't have to mess around with any wiring.

cool guys thanks for the advice, i think i might end up doing the same thing... well i might just go ahead and hook up a 2.5 in pipe and somehow get it to go out to the front of the radiator and see if i can use one of my old pieces of tubing to seal everything up or whatever..

my main concern now is what to do with all of the unused vacuum lines... right now i can't really get it to idle right