HybridZ

Seat Mounting Height

JustinOlson

I'm going to welding in some custom seat mounting points in my 280z. I will be reworking the tunnel area where the catalytic converter usually is. This should give me the required width to fit the s2000 seats I have fairly lower. Should I mount the seats as low as possible? Are there any guidelines I should be thinking about when mounting these seats?

Thanks,

Justin

As low as possible is probably a good bet. The other weird thing about seats in Z's is the stock rear seat mounts are a good deal lower than the fronts. If you install a seat that is meant for a flat seat mount (Recaro is a good example) then the seat gets installed with the thigh support leaning way back. If that's the case with your S2000 seats you may need to either lower the front seat bracket or raise the rear. I'd lower the front if possible.

Well my 280z transmission tunnel needs to be cut and welded to make the seats fit properly. I'm going to weld in 1" X 2" X .083" square tubing for seat mounts. This should allow me to get the seats low enough to the floor. I appreciate the heads up on the seat angle. I wasn't sure about that.

Justin

So I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the seats securely and narrow the transmission tunnel in my 280z. I want to make seat mounts that basically weld to the underside of the rockers. This should be a very secure way to mount them. I ordered the 1.25" die set for my bender yesterday. I will be using 1.25" X 0.065" CM tubing as I have some at the shop. I'm going to have to rework my exhaust a little, but its ok by me.

Should I add any gussets or braces to this design? It will follow the lowest part of the sheet metal. I'm going to be doing bad dog rails at the same time. I figured I would weld these to the bad dog rails and box everything in with sheet metal.

seatmountinghc1.jpg

What about an X brace? Overkill?

seatmounting2vf3.jpg

I can't see losing ground clearance for a seat mount, especially when the BD SFC's are right there to attach to. If you're determined to hit the rocker, I'd do it inside the car, but mounting to the SFC should be sufficient.

You're mounting an aluminum seat. Are you going to use the typical angle brackets to mount them? If so, the mount base won't be anywhere near as wide as the floorpan. So I think you have your bracket off by 90 degrees if I'm looking at your drawing right. Your bracket should have the square tubes front and back. When rotated, then the SFC takes the place of all the tubing.

I'll take some pictures of the seats when I get home. I will be mounting the sliders directly to the tubes with. The problem is the rockers are too high to tie into. I need to curve down from the rocker to hit the SFC. I was going to use the 1" X 2" rectangular tubing, but I would just be able to weld them to sheet metal and the SFC.

Justin