HybridZ

Stumped??

Guest jon-fernbrook@ll.net

I'm stumped, along with my mechanic. My 78' 280Z starts and runs fine except after its been warmed up and allowed to sit between 3 - 30 minutes. If started between these times, the engine starts hard and runs rough for approximately 1 minute. Suspect it's running rich.

To date, these items have been fixed/replaced:

Iginition wire set

Spark plugs

Rotor

Dist. Cap

Ignition Rotor

Fuel Regulator

Temp Sensor

Air Flow Meter

Valve

Thermo Time Switch

Fuel Injector

'Computer'

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Absoluterly guessing at this point. Thanks all!

Thanks for the response regarding my Z not starting when hot. I just chatted with the mechanic who has been working on it, and he indicated he tried everything listed on page 32 of the trouble shooting manual offered earlier by Cozy. Does anyone have any other possible suggestions (no matter how off-the-wall at this point I'm willing to listen) or contact names of people who might. I really appreciate the help. Thanks

To date, these items have been fixed/replaced:

Iginition wire set

Spark plugs

Rotor

Dist. Cap

Ignition Rotor

Fuel Regulator

Temp Sensor

Air Flow Meter

Valve

Thermo Time Switch

Fuel Injector

'Computer'

The only thing I can think of that isnt on your list of replaced parts is the O2 Sensor.

There is a possibility that it could be your problem. I've seen O2 sensors do a lot of really strange things to cars when they go bad, and I've seen a bad O2 keep a car from starting. I've only seen that happen once, so it's kind of a long shot, but it's the only thing I can think of that based on your list you may not have checked.

I hope that helps, Good Luck.

this is (Off the wall) Open up the distributor and chek the magnet that rotates inside, my mom's S10 had the same prob, after replacing the cold start valve, the alternator, and countless other things, the mechanic opened up the distributor and found that two of the six points on the rotating magnet had busted off. Why they busted off is another question.