HybridZ

converters what size?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i am running a 406 sbc with a T350 tranny i asked the guys to build for 350-400 HP what stall should i purchase for this combo? the shop said they recommend a 2800 stall but i know the actuall stall is affected by the cars weight and some other factors, this is why i am asking who better than those which have traveled the road before! thanks in advance also any brand reccomended?

Chaz, I have a b&m 10" stall that if you

brake torgue the car it starts to spin

at 2700 rpm, but as soon as you let off the brake it flashes to 4000 rpm... It does this in any gear. You can be cruizing along at

40 miles an hour in 3rd gear and punch it

and it jumps to 4k then starts pulling real hard... This is great for racing but

way too much for cruizing... I am going to put the stock converter back in as soon as my tranny gets out of the shop...

If you are racing more that cruizing I will

sell it to you for 150.00.. It has the anti balooning plate and brazed fins so you can spray the gas to it without any problem..

myron

I am currently running a 12" TCI lock-up for a 700R4. I realize this isn't the setup you are using, but the stall was rated at 1500 rpm over stock. The stock converter was stalling at a whimpy 1500, while the TCI pushed it up to 2800. Not exactly what TCI promised, but close enough for me (and my 2800 lbs. 260). Raising the stall 1300 rpm dropped about 2 tenths off my 60 foot times. Holeshots went from sedate, to phenomenal. Drivability, on the other hand, is about at the edge of what I would consider “streetable†(on a daily basis). Even at 30-40% throttle, the torque of the V8 spins the converter up to 2800 rpm. Kind of sounds like a “really-mean†mo-ped when taking off under light throttle. The saving factor on this specific converter is the lockup fourth gear. Makes for nice 70mph cruising at 2200 rpm.

I also had a TH350 before the 4-speed. When I rebuilt my bottom end, I swapped in a TCI “Saturday Night Specialâ€. TCI rated the SNS at 400-500rpm over stock. My Z stalled it at about 2200rpm. It made for “good†holeshots and drivability suffered very little. I didn’t have the stock converter in the TH350 for very long so, I have a hard time comparing the two (I was also only 19 years old). From what memory tells me though… 1800rpm sounds about right.

Good luck in your build, hope this helped

-Andy