HybridZ

Have the same issue as Geking with his 305...

The only difference is that I haven't bought it yet because I think the 305s are possibly the worst v8s ever made. But since the block I'm getting is about $100, it got me thinking of a unique build. What if I beef up the internals and run a twin turbo setup? Normally with a 350 SBC or any other popular small block of the sort, twin turbo means Ligenfelter power (750-1000hp on their TT vettes). But since the 305 has a lower power output, I think in theory that with the TT setup it should provide more streetable horsepower. I already snooped around the net and found one guy in Knoxville, TN who did it on his 240SX. Anyone ever heard of this besides me? Oh, and it's happy to visit this site again...haven't been here in awhile...

Now that I have 'seen the light' why not save the money on the setup, instead of spending $100 on the block and $500 on the turbos, (twin turbo on a chevy v8 in an S30 is damn hard. (I know datsuns, just not American stuff, I mean why make a V8 that only makes 170ish out of 5L, thats just pathetic...(still cheaper than a crazy L28 build, though))) why not buy a 350, or, an LS? 305s don't come with a 4 bolt main.

There are marine 305s that were equipped with a 4 bolt main. Also you can add 4 bolt mains, using aftermarket splayed caps, which some people will say is stronger than the stock straight 4 bolt mains, some say they aren't, either way they can be added. There have also been some pretty stout builds using 2 bolt mains. Even just adding a girdle to the 2 bolt main block will help strengthen it.

Check out www.thirdgen.org. There are many examples of forced induction SBCs some of which are 305s. Look up Saturn5, he had a 305 with twin superchargers, and had some very good success with the set-up. His was in a Malibu.

I don't think a TTSBC in an S30 will be all that difficult, especially with all the open room between the rad and engine, with a SBC. A single (larger) turbo could also be used in the same location, and produce some very good results.

BTW, What's the issue?

Hey guys, the 305 got a bad rap because Chevy brought it out as an "Economy" motor. Long stroke and small bore provided decent torque, low emissions and better that the 350 fuel economy.

However, like any small block Chevy there are things you can do to it. No, it's not going to be a 10 second 1/4 mile rev happy hauler but around the street in a light 240/260 Z it can be a good choice. You want it to be light and the biggest problem is the heads so buy a set of Trick Flow 23 degree aluminum heads. No, they are not 2.02" intake 1.50" exhaust but they are 1.94â€/1.50†and they flow great.

http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400098+4294925232+4294908216+115+311478&autoview=sku

Add a decent cam, aluminum intake with a REASONABLE sized 4bbl, and a set of headers and I think you will like the results.