HybridZ

I need an SFI 18.1 damper - ATI vs BHJ vs ???

drzed

I have been searching both this forum and manufacturer’s websites for information on dampers for my street/strip engine in my 260Z. It has been information overload and I am having a hard time making the final decision.

My engine never sees over 7000 RPM and I only need the pulley for the water pump and alternator. I do however need to install the 4 magnets for my new SDS EM3 F setup.

I talked to Chris @ BHJ and it seems that his product would work but he is about $30 more + shipping + brokerage than I can buy an ATI at the local speed shop. I talked to ATI tech support today just to confirm that theirs was a direct replacement for stock but they said that the V belt pulley was 1.770" diameter at the bottom and 2.750" diameter at the top. Can this be right? I asked him twice and he said it was but this would underdrive the water pump and alternator so much I think I would have problems on a street/strip car.

Also the mounting of the SDS magnets is a pain since both ATI and BHJ are not familiar with the SDS requirements. Both companies are however willing to mount them if I send them instructions and the magnets. I am hoping that I can either mount the magnets in the front cover of the damper or better yet use my existing aluminum plate with installed magnets and bolt it onto the front of the new damper (maybe to the holes used to remove it).

So I am asking anyone running an aftermarket damper to chime in and let me know if one of these two would be better than the other for my application. I am obviously leaning towards the ATI since it’s local and a little cheaper but by the time I'm spending $425 what’s another $75 or so.

510six or anyone else running the ATI unit does the above sound right about the V belt sizing?

Be aware that the ATI crank pully diameter on the crank is only about 2.5" and for anything other than a pure drag race/road race car a larger crank pully will be needed. A custom 5.25" pully was fabricatednby a machinist friend that incorporated the 12 tooth wheel for the ignition VR sensor. I would use the dampner with the larger crank pully for a street car.

Wow thanks 510six - that was fast! That pretty much kills the idea of the ATI unit.

At this point I use the car more at the drags than I do on the street but I like the idea of a car I can hop into and drive for a couple hundred miles with out any problems.